MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, October 11, 2011
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Room B3 Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.5.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2011
- OIT will support only version 10.6.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2012
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug UNC CAUSE Meeting!
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx2.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Server Beta https://184.108.40.206:8443/
- UNC CAUSE is November 1-3, 2011 – Everette Presenting BOF on App Store Survival
2) OS X Software Set for Fall 2011 Follow up II- 15 min.
Fixes have been posted for 1) Fetch License update, 2) SPSS License Update, and 3) Adobe Install Order Issue. Still can not reproduce the Acrobat X Printing issue. Related to certain printers? We believe that the Indesign 5.5 Hang issue was due to install order. Other issues? Discussion.
3) License Renewals and changes – 10 min.
The Mac Collection AELP VLA which OIT Administers for campus has been renewed. We almost filled the 2,000 license tier with only 95 remaining so if anyone needs to add to their license contact Bill_Coker@ncsu.edu.
Also we are renewing the OS X server and the ARD licenses in November so expect billing. ARD is no longer available on AELP and OS X server is cheaper and more flexible on 20+ volume purchase so we are moving both license to the 20+ VLA. Discussion.
4) OSX 10.7.2, iOS 5.0, and iCloud – get ready! – 45 min.
Preparing for iCloud and friends. Best Practices and Discussion.
5) Casper Self Service- 30 min. Overview of Self Service concepts. Information about using VLA codes with Self Service and how to use People and Machine groups together to make sure software goes only where it needs to go. Discussion
6) Casper Updates- 5 min. JAMF will update Casper for iOS 5 and GSX2. Hope to get those in this week if available. Discussion
7) ) Q&A – 15 min. You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Nov 8, 2011 in Room B3 Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July 2011.
All meetings will be held in B3 Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.