MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
2:30 to 3:30 pm Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.5.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2011
- OIT will support only version 10.6.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2012
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx2.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Server Beta https://22.214.171.124:8443/
2) Spring 2012 Software Plan Update- 30 min
Issues with Spring 2012 software plan. OS X 10.7.2 will have to be imaged on for unattended install. Issues with large PKG files where the packages are not flat packages (some existing are some are not). All DMG installs are working. Updates are at:
And a casper install plan at:
3) Casper Suite Enterprise Deployment Update – 30 min
We finally have full GSX 2 support in Casper 8.4.0. Will be updating Casper Suite Beta server on Tuesday January 17, 2012 between 8 am and 11 am. At the same time will be moving the MySQL database to our enterprise clustered database servers (mysql02) and updating the push certificate for iOS support. Next phase is to move to load balanced tomcat servers in VMWare.
Casper 8.4.0 changes:
- APNs certificate generation. The JSS now allows you to generate an Apple Push Notification (APNs)
- certificate from the Apple Push Certificate Portal.
Flat PKGs. Composer now builds PKGs as flat PKGs by default.
- Improvements to the JSS Database Utility. The JSS Database Utility can now manage settings for
- MySQL and Apache Tomcat.
Integration with Apple’s updated GSX service. The JSS is now compatible with Apple’s updated
- Global Service Exchange (GSX) API.
Review of fixes and changes. Discussion
4) Crystal Ball for 2012 – 30 min
New year predictions and probabilities. Bring you favorite rumor! Discussion
5) Q&A – 10 min. You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Feb. 14, 2012 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.