MacPolicy Group Agenda
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.5.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2011
- OIT will support only version 10.6.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2012
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases/background-unc-cpi
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin
2) Governance changes – 10 min.
Both MacPolicy and MacTech are now officially working groups in the OIT governance structure under the Client and Application Support Subcommittee (CAS) of the IT Strategic Advisory Committee (ITSAC) at NC State. Our operational and advisory functions remain the same. This gives us a clear reporting path for issues we are concerned about and provides us an opportunity to feedback on requests from the ITSAC groups. Discussion.
3) May Apple Bulk Buy CPP – 10 min.
There is a “last minute” bulk buy being coordinated by UNCGA. Proceedure is:
1. Submit orders, via web proposals to GA (me!) between now and Wed May 15
2. I will turn those orders in to Apple for re-quote at close of businesson Wed May 15
3. Apple generally will have the re-quote back to me on Friday, May 18
4. And if we have campuses get the PO’s in Apple’s hands by Friday May 25
that should give plenty of time for delivery and invoicing by the end of June.
Talk to CPI reps about establishing 4 dates per year so we can plan group buys.
OIT will be updating Casper Suite to version 8.5.2 to address some web security issues. The proposed date is Monday May 14, 2012. The upgrade allows for distribution of EBooks to iOS devices as well. Discussion.
5) Security Threats – 10 min.
a) With JAVA patched and Casper monitoring available for Flashback we seem to be seeing infections drop off. Note that Oracle has taken over provision of JAVA and the JRE/JDK providing the 1.7.0_04-b21 update at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre-7u4-download-1591157.html. This java is pre-release but works. Everyone should move to minimize the java applications deployed for production as Apple moves toward more iOS-like (no java) versions of OSX.
b) Security flaw in legacy FileVault on 10.7.3 see:
6) Software Needs Summer 2012 and Fall 2012- 10 min.
Feed back on software needed for Summer or Fall semesters? OIT has frozen software update on May 4, 2012 for OS X. If possible we will look at Adobe CS6 in Casper before Fall 2012 as the only exception. Discussion
7) Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Aug. 14, 2012 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.