MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
2:30 to 4:30 pm Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.5.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2011
- OIT will support only version 10.6.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2012
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin
- UNC GA Bulk Buy Open now, Deadline at GA May 15!!
2) Security Threats – 10 min.
a) With JAVA patched and Casper monitoring available for Flashback we seem to be seeing infections drop off. Note that Oracle has taken over provision of JAVA and the JRE/JDK providing the 1.7.0_04-b21 update at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre-7u4-download-1591157.html. This java is pre-release but works. Everyone should minimize the java applications deployed for production as Apple moves toward more iOS-like (no java at all) versions of OS X.
b) Security flaw in legacy FileVault on 10.7.3 see:
3) Casper Suite 8.52 Update Planned – 10 min
The Casper Suite 8.52 update is scheduled for Monday May 14, 2012. As discussed last month we are updating for security patches and for additional functions for E-Book delivery on iOS and OS X profile management. Discussion
June MacTech will be Tech Short on Managing with Casper 8.5+.
4) Software Suite for Summer 2012 and Fall 2012- 10 min.
Freeze date was Friday May 4, 2012. Feed back on software needed for Summer or Fall semesters? Discussion.
PythonXY – includes Vphton
AutoDesk/AutoCAD – on license? Any MacVersions.
Adobe CS 6
Google Earth Pro?
Sketch Up Pro – spun off from Google. License??
5) Q&A – 10 min. You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. June 12, 2012 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.