MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
2:30 to 4:30 pm Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.5.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2011
- OIT will support only version 10.6.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2012
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin
- Everette attending JAMF Nation User Conference October 23 – 25, 2012 – Minneapolis, MN jamfsoftware.com/events/user-conferences/jamf-nation-user-conference-2012
- Mobile Device Security for Mac Laptops -http://webapps.ncsu.edu/classmate/workshop/index/details/workshopId/253
2) Casper Packaging Training – Nov. 13 – 10 min.
OIT is converting an engineering day we had purchased with JAMF Software to a 1 day course on Software Packaging. I am proposing that we replace the November 13, 2012 MacPolicy and MacTech meeting with a day long, JAMF instructor led, hands on training on software packaging with Casper Suite. Time would be 9:00 am to 4:30 pm here on campus (room TBA). We had 14 people interested in the course so far. Registration is open at http://webapps.ncsu.edu/classmate/workshop/index/details/workshopId/257. Please sign up if interested. Discussion.
3) Trend Micro Security for Macintosh Updates – 10 min
There is a discussion about the dissatisfaction with our current antivirus package in both CAS and OIT. Everette is scheduled in a meeting with OIT Security and Compliance on Oct 8, 2012 to begin looking at what is needed for antivirus when the current license expires in June 2014. The current version TMSM 1.5 SP4 (build 1.5.6024) remains unusable with 10.8.x. Discussion.
4) Kiosk/Sign Appliances 10.8 – 10 min
Everette is finishing a new appliance image that will be used for kiosks and digital sign machines requiring 10.8. Target models are iMac Mid-2011 and MacMini Early 2012. Casper will not be required but OIT will be delivering and managing it’s kiosk and signs with Casper Suite. Questions: a) does anyone require java for kiosk or signs. We will continue to deliver Flash for now as there is known content but would like to limit infection vectors esp. on kiosks by not installing java. b) Anyone using dual screen kiosks, signs or kiosk/sign combos? c) Any one interested in iPad kiosks?? Discussion
5) CAS Report – 20 min.
CAS meeting information oit.ncsu.edu/it-gov-das-subcomm-ops/meetings. Short summary: a) Approved recommendation to license MS WinOSs for entire campus, b) proposal by Environmental Health and Safety to install Alertus Desktop Notification agent (www.alertus.com/desktop/) on all managed OSX and WinOS machines; asked for trial and testing, c) discussion on Antivirus needs, d) heard proposal to install and make available Identity Finder (www.identityfinder.com ) on all managed OSX and WinOS machines(available for BYO like antivirus is), e) discussed MCAT working group, f) discussed 3rd party patch management agent for WinOS and OSX with Security and Compliance who would like to use Secunia (secunia.com), g) discussed proliferation of fat agents i.e. alertus+identity finder+secunia+casper+keyserver… and the potential for collision. h) also discussed java plug-in and flash plug-in as largest infection threat to campus machines and eliminating use of insecure technologies for delivery of campus content. MUST SEE lunch and learn: Fighting Mass Produced Malware (webapps.ncsu.edu/classmate/workshop/index/details/workshopId/248). Discussion
6) PaperCut Feedback – 10 min.
As part of the OIT PaperCut team Everette is asking for feed back on the current implementation. I have a meeting on Thursday Sept 13, 2012 to discuss direction for our Phase 2. Will also be discussing this in CAS. Discussion.
7) Rumors and Lies – 10 min.
Catch up on latest Rumors and Lies for Apple media event on Sep. 12, 2012 Discussion.
6) Q&A – 10 min. You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Oct 9, 2012 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.