MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
2:30 to 4:30 pm Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.6.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2012
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin
- Mobile Device Security Session for Mac Laptops – Oct. 17, 2012 – 12-1pm, Scott Hall 216 webapps.ncsu.edu/classmate/workshop/schedule/event-details/eventId/887
- Packaging OSX software with Casper Suite – Nov. 13, 2012 – 9 am – 4:30 pm, AFTC 112 webapps.ncsu.edu/classmate/workshop/schedule/event-details/eventId/891
- Everette attending JAMF Nation User Conference October 23 – 25, 2012 – Minneapolis, MN – jamfsoftware.com/events/user-conferences/jamf-nation-user-conference-2012
2) License Renewals: Mac OS Collection and Casper Suite – 10 min.
OIT will be billing for the Mac OS X Collection VLA and for Casper Suite in the next 3 months. We have just submitted inventory counts to JAMF and will be billing for Casper Suite based on that plus any additions you would like to make. OIT will only be contacting folks who currently hold licenses so if you want to join please contact email@example.com. Also see: software.ncsu.edu/vendor/apple/package/macintosh-os-x Discussion.
3) Antivirus for Macintosh Updates – 10 min
There has been discussion about the dissatisfaction with our current antivirus package in both CAS and OIT. OIT had a meeting with OIT Security and Compliance on Oct 8, 2012 to begin looking at what is needed for antivirus when the current license expires in June 2014. The current version is still TMSM 1.5 SP4 (build 1.5.6024) continues to have issues with 10.8.x on some hardware. Discussion.
4) Dual OS 10.7.5 and 10.8.2 – 10 min
Be aware that we now have a dual OS support situation with OS X. Apple is currently patching and releasing 10.7.x and 10.8.x. This allows many machines that can not run 10.8.x to remain in service a bit longer. OIT intends to move to hardware that supports 10.8 for all kiosks, signs, labs and desktop machines by spring semester 2013. Discussion.
5) Casper 8.6.2 update fixes – 40 min.
OIT has patched the Casper Suite Enterprise service to 8.6.2. This was an “emergency” patch approved by the ncsucapseradmins group and required by OIT Security and Compliance to close reported cross-site request forgery vulnerabilities. The update has been verified to fix the issue with imaging on OS X 10.8.0 (afp mount issue).
6) iOS 6 updates – 10 min.
Features and issues in latest iOS release. Discussion.
7) Q&A – 10 min. You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – NOTE: November Meeting will be replaced with Packaging OSX software with Casper Suite training Nov 13th.
Tue. Dec. 11, 2012 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacPolicy will also meet in December.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.