MacPolicy Group Agenda
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.6.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2012
- OIT will support only version 10.7.5 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2013
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin
2) Bulk Buy Update – 5 min
Latest CPI Apple Bulk buy was closed about Dec 10, 2012. Hope everyone who wanted in was able to get in. Purchasing was holding all Apple orders over 5k plus requests in MarketPlace. Everything should be in now and new iMacs should be shipping soon or in transit. Discounts looked like about 8% or so. Discussion.
3) License Renewals – 5 min.
All license renewals should be complete. We did have requests to up the license for Casper suite to 2,954. There are also about 17 AELP Mac Collection licenses available for purchase. Discussion.
4) CAS Updates – 20 min.
CAS meeting information oit.ncsu.edu/it-gov-das-subcomm-ops/meetings.
**Recommendation to license MS WinOSs for entire campus – Funding was not available to implement at OIT level, cooperative continues
** Proposal by Environmental Health and Safety to install Alertus Desktop Notification agent (www.alertus.com/desktop/) on all managed OSX and WinOS machines; asked for trial and testing – remains unimplimented (software is free)
** discussion on Antivirus needs – OIT group has meet, both steering and service teams are formed and will be meeting before Feb 15, 2013
** Proposal to install and make available Identity Finder (www.identityfinder.com ) on all managed OSX and WinOS machines(available for BYO like antivirus is) -Remains unimplimented
**discussed MCAT working group – group is in place and starting work
**discussed 3rd party patch management Secunia (secunia.com) agent for WinOS and OSX – purchased and OIT is working on implementation for PCI stations first. OS X agent is unable to scan and patch currently.
**discussed proliferation of fat agents i.e. alertus+identity finder+secunia+casper+keyserver… and the potential for collision –currently no known conflicts have been found
**discussed java plug-in and flash plug-in as largest infection threat to campus machines and eliminating use of insecure technologies for delivery of campus content – No movement in this area. Discussion
5) Casper 9 Testing – 5 min.
OIT is beginning to test Casper version 9 in a hosted model. Expect testing to continue the entire Spring 2013 semester. Product is very early beta. The Sites feature will provide the federated management we have been waiting for. Information on Casper 9 at
6) Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Mar. 12, 2013 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.