MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
2:30 to 4:30 pm Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.6.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2012
- OIT will support only version 10.7.5 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2013
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin
2) Spring 2013 Software Workflow Update- 30 min.
OIT has been updated all OIT Unity Labs with the current software work flow. Spring 2013 updated to OS X 8.2.x and updated 17 packages. Known issues remain with installing SPSS 21 and applying it’s license. See details at:
3) OIT Information Kiosk Updates – 30 min
OIT has updated about 50% of the public information kiosks to the new Kiosk Appliance image.This image uses 10.7.5 and the iCab web browser OIT has site licensed for campus. The image is available on the Casper Suite server or by request at help.ncsu.edu for units wishing to upgrade or add private kiosks. Discussion.
4) iPad Mini Demo- 30 min.
Demo of the new iPad Mini hardware and differences. This is a popular hardware we will see on campus now. We will talk about some of the differences in newer iPads and the 2nd and 3rd generations. Discussion
5) Rumor Manager – 10 min. We discuss our favorite Apple rumors on hardware, software, erc
6) Q&A – 10 min. You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Feb 12, 2013 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.