MacPolicy Group Agenda
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.7.5 or newer of OS X after Dec 31, 2013
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- *Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin
2) Security Update and Policy – 5 min
Updates on latest Java, Flash and Xprotect issues. OIT Unity Lab machines running 1.7.0_17 with Java Plug-in disabled. Looking to catalog the courses and web applications actually requiring these technologies. Are there ways to move away from Java and Flash? Discussion.
3) Spring 2013 Bulk Buy Follow Up – 5 min.
Hopefully everyone who was interested has ordered equipment on the Spring Apple CPP bulk buy as it closed Mar 8, 2013. Final discounts will be assigned Mar 22, 2013 and everyone should be notified then. Discussion
4) Update on Antivirus – 10 min.
As we have talked about before OIT is in process of a search for a campus antivirus package. There are 2 teams that are formed or in process: a) the AntiVirus Service team and b) the AntiVirus software selection team. The service team will be the responsible for implementing, running and assuring the OIT antivirus solution both current and future. While the service team members are mostly from OIT there is outside representation. The selection team is responsible for looking at the campus needs for antivirus, surveying the market of current products, and recommending good antivirus solutions for implementation and transition in 2014. The service team has agreed that it wants to support best of breed solutions for malware defense per platform. There are discussions about the lack of effectiveness of antivirus packages today, how patch management fits, and how to move away from problematic web technologies like Flash and JAVA for required university business and learning.
5) WolfPrint FollowMe Printing – 10 min.
OIT and WolfPrint had announced support for FollowMe printing for campus. Over spring break about 36 printers were replaced with modern, multifunction Lexmark and HP devices that have interactive touch screens and id card readers in support of FollowMe printing. This allows for 4 print queues: WolfPrint-BlackandWhite, WolfPrint-Color, WolfPrint-BlackandWhite-Libraries, and WolfPrint-Color-Libraries. Print jobs sent to one of these queues can be released on any printer showing a WolfPrint FollowMe sign by swiping an id card and taping on print release. Jobs are held for 12 hours for release at any supporting printer across campus before they are automatically deleted. This should make printing more convenient, reduce the number of lost jobs and refunds, and allow printing of jobs at different locations than they are originated. Discussion
6) Needs for Fall 2013 software – 15 min.
Round the room request for new software, changes in workflows, and other needs related to software on OS X for Fall 2013. OIT is working towards having the final Casper workflow for fall 2013 finalized by July 1, 2013 to allow for testing in units. Discussion
Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. May. 12, 2013 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.