MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, April 9, 2013
2:30 to 4:30 pm — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.7.5 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2013
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- *Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin
2) Casper 8.6.4 upgrade – 15 min.
OIT has updated the Casper Enterprise Service to 8.6.4. . Discussion.
3) Casper 9.0B testing and hardware – 15 min
OIT continues to test the new casper betas in a hosted environment. We have also purchased equipment for NetBoot and Distribution servers consisting of 4 MacMinis and 4 Datoptic hardware RAID 5 1Ru Thunderbolt disk arrays with capacity of 12 T each. Two of hese will be added to the current NetBoot server pool June 1, 2013 and the rest by Sept. 1, 2013. Discussion.
4) Office 2008 EOL – 10 min
Microsoft has announced end of life for Office 2008 (today!)
support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/default.aspx?LN=en-us&x=17&y=10&p1=12853. There may be many users still running the 2008 version that should be moved to 2011. For the curious:
All MS Life Cycles – http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselectindex – Discussion.
5) Needs for Fall 2013 Software again- 15 min.
Round the room request for new software, changes in workflows, and other needs related to software on OS X for Fall 2013. OIT is working towards having the final Casper workflow for fall 2013 finalized by July 1, 2013 to allow for testing in units.
6) Tech Short: GateKeeper from command line- 15 min.
Demo of command line tools to control GateKeeper security.
7) Rumor Rodeo – 10 min. We recap our favorite new product rumors. Bring your own. Discussion
8) Q&A – 10 min. You ask we try to answer
Next meeting – May 14, 2013 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.