MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
2:30 to 4:30 pm — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.7.5 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2013
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- *Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin
- No one from OIT will attend WWDC 2013. Sold out in 90 seconds.
2) Casper 8.7.0 upgrade – 15 min.
OIT will upgrade the Casper Enterprise Suite service to version 8.7.0 to add additional iOS support , vendor recommended patches and the Casper Focus for iOS feature. http://www.jamfsoftware.com/products/casper-focus Discussion.
3) Changes in MS Office 2011 install workflow – 15 min
The install for Office 2011 in Casper is changing. Please note that the 14.3.x update appears to overwrite the university license. We have created a OIT-com.microsoft.office.licensing.plist.dmg installer that runs priority 20 to add the license back after the Office 14.3.4 update. Appears that the latest update allows a choice between a license key, MS 365 login or viewer only use. Discussion.
4) New apps added to Casper – 10 min
The following new apps are being added into Casper for use with Fall 2013 workflows. – Discussion
OIT-Citrix Receiver_11.7.2.pkg OIT-Firefox_20.0.dmg
OIT-Google Chrome_26.0.1410.65.dmg OIT-Google Earth_184.108.40.2060.dmg
OIT-Google Voice and Video_220.127.116.1140.pkg OIT-Maple_17.dmg
OIT-Maple_17.dmg OIT-Office 2011 14.3.4 Update.pkg
5) Command Line Flash Update Procedure- 15 min.
Discussion of new update procedure for Flash per
7) Rumor Rodeo – 10 min. We recap our favorite new rumors and WWDC 2013 expectations. Bring your own. Discussion
8) Q&A – 10 min. You ask we try to answer
Next meeting – Jun 11, 2013 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.