MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, August 13, 2013
2:30 to 4:30 pm — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.7.5 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2013
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- *Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration with a local home on each machine
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin: go.ncsu.edu/casper)
- UNC CAUSE is November 18-20, 2013 – unccause.org/2013/
2) Casper 9 Beta Tests – 5 min.
Casper 9 beta testing continues. Discussion.
3) UNC GA Sept 2013 Apple Bulk Buy – 10 min
This is the timeline for GA not for NC State so assume that we need to get our orders done earlier!
– Monday, August 26 – Start submitting your campus Apple Quotes to UNCGA
– Friday, September 6 – End of collection period for campus Apple Quotes (COB, do not wait until the last minute)
– Friday, September 6 – UNCGA submits list of campus quotes to Apple
- Monday, September 9 – Apple returns approved “re-quotes” to campus and UNCGA
- September 10 thru September 16 – campuses send their POs to Apple
NOTE: It is important to use the Apple quote system to build your order. Discussion.
4) Casper Unity Lab Workflows for FA2013 – 30 min
There are 4 new Casper Policies available for use in Fall 2013 for Unity Lab Macintosh deployment:
- OIT-2UnityLab_Full_Startup_FA2013 – Start Up – Adds basic security bindings, file and print systems – 30 min
- OIT-3UnityLab_Full_Software_FA2013 – Every15 – Installs 41 packages and related configs – 3 hours
- OIT-4UnityLab_Full_Login_FA2013 – Login – Installs 2 packages that require a GUI environment for success – 10 min
- OIT-UnityLab_Update_Software_FA2013 – Used for update only of SP2013 machines NOT Nuke&Pave. – 20 min
See details at: oit.ncsu.edu/macintosh/macintosh-lab-kits OIT Unity Lab machines have been updated with Update flow 8-13-2013. Discussion.
5) WolfPrint FollowMe Printing with Airprint – 30 min
OIT has recently provided AirPrint to support WolfPrint FollowMe printing. See details for WolfPrint FollowMe printing at: oit.ncsu.edu/wolfprint/wolfprint-followme-printing and AirPrint usage at: oit.ncsu.edu/wolfprint/wolfprint-airprint-how-to-print-from-ipad-iphone-and-other-ios-devices Approval of prints is required at go.ncsu.edu/wolfprint each time. Please note that AirPrint only works on the “ncsu” wireless and no other network. For direct FollowMe printing OS X, Linux and Windows 7 can use ipp printing to https://print.ncsu.edu:631/WolfPrint-BlackAndWhite. Currently the self-signed certificate must be trusted by Windows but OIT is purchasing a proper certificate. Unity Lab machines now use FollowMe as the default printer. Discussion
6) Look out for Theft – 5 min
OIT has recently experienced the theft of power cords believed to be copper harvesting. As Fall semester changes begin please be on the look out for criminal activity. Discussion
7) Rumor Roundup – 15 min. Bring your favorite rumor. iPhone 5c, 5s, Retina iPad Mini, etc. Discussion
8) Q&A – 10 min. You ask we try to answer
Next meeting – Aug 13, 2013 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July. All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.