MacPolicy Group Agenda
Tuesday, September 17, 2013
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.7.5 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2013
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- *Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration with a local home on each machine
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases/background-unc-cpi
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin: go.ncsu.edu/casper)
- JNUC Oct 14-18, 2013 Everette will attend
- UNC CAUSE is November 18-20, 2013 – unccause.org/2013/
2) Security Update and Policy – 5 min
Updates on latest Java, Flash and Xprotect issues. Flash updated automatically to 11.8.800.168 on all OIT Unity machines by Sept 13, 2013. Java Update for 1.7 (Version 7 Update 40) but none for 1.6 yet (still 1.6.0_51 via Java for OS X 2013-004). The Java Plug-in is disabled in OIT Unity machines. Please discourage all use of Flash and Java for required materials. Discussion.
3) Fall 2013 Bulk Buy Follow Up – 5 min.
Hopefully everyone who was interested has ordered equipment on the Fall Apple CPP bulk buy as it closed. Discussion
4) Update on Antivirus – 10 min.
As we have talked about before OIT has 2 teams that are formed: a) the AntiVirus Service team and b) the AntiVirus software selection team. The service team will is the responsible for implementing, running and assuring the OIT antivirus solution both current and future. The selection team is responsible for looking at the campus needs for antivirus, surveying the market of current products, and recommending good antivirus solutions for implementation and transition in 2014. There are on going discussions about the lack of effectiveness of antivirus packages today, how patch management fits, and how to move away from problematic web technologies like Flash and JAVA for required university business and learning in both teams. The service team has done 2 things: a) updated the Approved Alternate Antivirus Products at oit.ncsu.edu/antivirus/clients-alternate-approved and updated the Trend Micro Client for OS X to version 2.0.1020 with matching server update. The selection team is in the process of evaluating packages from vendors that responded to the RFC. Discussion
5) WolfPrint FollowMe Printing with IPP – 15 min
OIT has recently provided secure IPP support to WolfPrint FollowMe printing. See details for WolfPrint FollowMe printing at: oit.ncsu.edu/wolfprint/wolfprint-followme-printing and OS X IPP usage at: oit.ncsu.edu/wolfprint/wolfprint-ipp-how-to-print-from-apple-macintosh-devices-using-internet-printing-protocol Approval of prints is required at go.ncsu.edu/wolfprint each time. For direct FollowMe printing OS X, Linux and Windows 7 can use ipp printing to . OIT has purchashed a proper certificate for print.ncsu.edu and IPP printing is requiring encryption end to end. Discussion
6)Fall Software Renewals and Price Changes – 15 min.
OIT will be sending out renewals for software at their renewal dates this fall. Be aware that Casper Suite will increase in price. While we do not have final numbers the worst case would be iOS $10.29 (12/13 was $9) and OS X $13.28 (12/13 was $10). Discussion
Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Nov. 12, 2013 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.