MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, September 17, 2013
2:30 to 4:30 pm — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.7.5 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2013
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- *Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration with a local home on each machine
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases/background-unc-cpi
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin: go.ncsu.edu/casper)
- JNUC Oct 14-18, 2013 Everette will attend
- UNC CAUSE is November 18-20, 2013 – unccause.org/2013/
2) Casper 9.0.1 Tests – 10 min.
Casper 9.0.1 testing in vendor hosted system is in progress . Discussion.
3) Flash and Xprotect Updates – 15 min
Updates on latest Java, Flash and Xprotect issues. Xprotect is now rejecting versions earlier than com.macromedia.Flash Player.plugin 11.8.800.94 and com.oracle.java.JavaAppletPlugin 22.214.171.124. Flash updated automatically to 11.8.800.168 on all OIT Unity machines by Sept 13, 2013. The Java Plug-in is disabled in OIT Unity machines. However Oracle has a Java Update for 1.7 (Version 7 Update 40) but none for 1.6 yet from Apple (still 1.6.0_51 via Java for OS X 2013-004). Please discourage all use of Flash and Java for required materials. Discussion.
4) MS Office 2011 SP3 – 10 min
New update for Office 2011 is a security patch. Can go from 14.0->14.1->14.3 without other updates Discussion.
5) iOS 7 Sept 18t – 30 min
What to expect tomorrow with iOS 7. Discussion
6) New Apple Hardware – 20 min
iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c and upcoming MacPro. Discussion
7) Q&A – 10 min. You ask we try to answer
Next meeting – Oct 8, 2013 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July. All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.