MacPolicy Group Agenda
Tuesday, November 12, 2013
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.7.5 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2013
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- *Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration with a local home on each machine
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases/background-unc-cpi
- Casper Suite Enterprise service (Admin: go.ncsu.edu/casper)
- UNC CAUSE is November 18-20, 2013 – unccause.org/2013/
2) Casper License Renewals – 5 min
Expect billing for license renewals for Casper Suite very soon if you do not already have them (OSX $11.64/iOS $9.28). Note that the price for Casper should stay the same until 2016 renewal.
3) Apple License Renewals – 5 min.
OS X Bundle
Apple is no longer charging for Mac OS, iWork and iLife. As a result, there is no longer a need to participate in the Apple AELP. From October 22 on, users will receive their updates directly from Apple through the App Store and not from Software Licensing Management.
OS X Server
Apple still charges for upgrades to OS X Server and the licensing will remain under the Apple Maintenance Program (AMP). The AMP will expire on January 11, 2015. Until this expiration, OS X Server updates will be provided to AMP participants by Software Licensing Management when they become available. These will be license codes for redemption on the App Store
Apple Remote Desktop
Apple Remote Desktop was at one time licensed under an AMP, but due to long periods of time between new versions, we did not renew the AMP. We currently do not have ARD under AMP. When version 4 is released, we will communicate with campus to determine if we would like to purchase ARD 4 licenses under an AMP to reduce overall costs.
4) Update on Antivirus – 10 min.
The antivirus service team is very near finishing a SLA internal to OIT. The antivirus selection team has started testing 6 products to be purchased at the end of the current Trend Micro contract. Discussion
5) Casper 9 transition – 30 min
OIT will be moving to a vendor hosted version of Casper Suite 9.2 as part of the next upgrade to the Casper Suite Enterprise Service. Each group currently using their own prefix (ie OIT, OIT-CS, DES, LIB, etc) will be moved into their own Casper Site for secure federated management. Note that all packages are still shared. OIT would like for each unit to provide a directory group (AD or ldap) that can be administrators of their Casper Site. Optionally those wanting to package software should provide a directory group containing the people who can package software. NOTE: Package naming will need to change. Currently each unit is required to name packages with unit prefix. In Casper 9.x the unit prefixes will change to add “NCSU-“ So packages made by OIT would now be named NCSU-OIT-packagename. This is to avoid issues with other UNC system schools in the hosted environment. One notable new feature is that Casper Admin is no longer required but all packages can be added to Casper using just a web browser. If your unit would like to host a JAMF Distribution Server (JDS) or NetBoot Server please email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu so we can work out the details. NOTE when we transition to 9.x all mobile devices must be re-enrolled. And Capser 9.2+ has support for management of Apple TVs but we do not yet know what, if any, the license costs are. Discussion
Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Jan. 21, 2014 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.