MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, November 12, 2013
2:30 to 4:30 pm — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.7.5 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2013
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- *Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration with a local home on each machine
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases/background-unc-cpi
- Casper Suite Enterprise service (Admin: go.ncsu.edu/casper)
- UNC CAUSE is November 18-20, 2013 – unccause.org/2013/
2) Casper 9 transition – 30 min
OIT will be moving to a vendor hosted version of Casper Suite 9.2 as part of the next upgrade to the Casper Suite Enterprise Service. Each group currently using their own prefix (ie OIT, OIT-CS, DES, LIB, etc) will be moved into their own Casper Site for secure federated management. Note that all packages are still shared. OIT would like for each unit to provide a directory group (AD or ldap) that can be administrators of their Casper Site. Optionally those wanting to package software should provide a directory group containing the people who can package software. NOTE: Package naming will need to change. Currently each unit is required to name packages with unit prefix. In Casper 9.x the unit prefixes will change to add “NCSU-“ So packages made by OIT would now be named NCSU-OIT-packagename. This is to avoid issues with other UNC system schools in the hosted environment. One notable new feature is that Casper Admin is no longer required but all packages can be added to Casper using just a web browser. If your unit would like to host a JAMF Distribution Server (JDS) or NetBoot Server please email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu so we can work out the details. NOTE when we transition to 9.x all mobile devices must be re-enrolled. And Capser 9.2+ has support for management of Apple TVs but we do not yet know what, if any, the license costs are. Discussion
3) New Apple Hardware – 15 min
MacBook Pros, Retina iPad Mini, iPad Air. Discussion
4) 10.9 Update in Place with Casper 9.x – 30 min
Casper 9 makes it easy to update 10.6.8+ to 10.9.0. Discussion
5) Google Docs for iOS supports AirPrint – 5 min.
Quick demo of how to use the latest iOS Google Docs app to print to WolfPrint Follow Me printing. Demo Discussion
6) OS X 10.9 Updates – 5 min. Latest updates to Mavericks fixes issues with Apple Mail.app and Google. Discussion.
7) Q&A – 10 min. You ask we try to answer
Next meeting – Dec 10, 2013 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July. All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.