MacPolicy Group Agenda
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.8.5 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2014 Current Version 10.7.5
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- *Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Kaspersky Endpoint Protection for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration with a local home on each machine
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases/background-unc-cpi
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://nc.jamfcloud.com/ (or go.ncsu.edu/mdmadmin)
2) Update on Antivirus – 10 min.
OIT has selected Kaspersky Endpoint Protection as the replacement for our current antivirus package. There are 2 target groups a) university owned machines and b) all others called personally owned devices (BYOD). Trend Micro license drops dead June 30, 2014. The OIT Antivirus Service Team continues to work on installation packages for university owned devices with server infrastructure complete and deployment testing underway. There are untested packages and scripts on the Casper servers but they should be avoided until a final announcement is made. OIT is still working with the target of late May for university owned deployments. Work is complete on the web page to download Kaspersky for personally owned devices. See details at www.ncsu.edu/antivirus It is very important that folks with campus owned devices NOT install the personally owned devices version!! Discussion.
3) Update on CrashPlan – 10 min.
Update: OIT is now paying both the startup costs and the first year costs for all licenses up to the initial 500 !! Requirement to take advantages of this is to purchase licenses for the 2nd year at $87.36 per user (4 devices allowed).
OIT OCC has worked with Code42 to take advantage of their Internet 2 license contract. There is a 500 user to enter the license which we need to try to meet. Each user is allowed 4 devices with unlimited backup space fully encrypted in the cloud. OIT will contribute 10K to one-time setup costs for the I2 license ($24,170 -$10,000 = $14,170), then campus would pay the remaining at the following costs:
Year 1 ($14,170/500) + 82.56 = $110.90 per user PAID BY OIT up to first 500
Year 2+ = ($2,400/500) + $82.56 = $87.36 per user
Contact Bill_Coker@ncsu.edu if you are interested in purchasing. Discussion
4) Casper 9 transition Update- 10 min
Several items for Casper Suite: a) About 9 machines have checked into the old Casper 8 server in the last 7 days and their information has been sent to the owner’s of the sites they should belong to. Please continue to verify that all devices are using nc.jamfcloud.com. b) Please continue to re-register iOS devices with nc.jamfcloud.com THIS MUST BE DONE MANUALLY. There were 721 iOS device moved from 8>9 servers but only 21 show as having checked in with 9.x server since Jan1, 2014.
c) We have updated to Casper Suite 9.31 and the UUID issues seem to be fixed. We still continue to see problems delivering packages and are trying to determine if this is network or load related. d) we are preparing to bring other UNC System organizations into the JSS to begin the UNC System implementation. Please check and rename all Categories, Packages, Scripts, Directory Bindings, Disk Encryption Configurations, Dock Items, Configurations to include NCSU- at the beginning of the name of each. Discussion
5) Apple Enrollment Programs DEP and VPPv2- 10 min
OIT has signed up for Apple’s latest enterprise programs including the Device Enrollment Program and the Volume Purchase Program (version 2). To access these programs connect to deploy.apple.com. A separate, NEW Apple ID must be created with an email address which has NEVER been used with ANY Apple service. Best practice is to create a new Generic Account at webregistry.ncsu.edu. The VPP section is still under approval. Discussion
Q&A – 10 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Sept 9, 2014 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will not meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.