MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
2:00 to 4:30 pm — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.8.5 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2014 – Current 10.7.5
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- *Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Kaspersky Endpoint Protection for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration with a local home on each machine
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases/background-unc-cpi
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://nc.jamfcloud.com/ (or go.ncsu.edu/mdmadmin)
2) Casper 9 transition Update- 10 min
Several items for Casper Suite: a) About 9 machines have checked into the old Casper 8 server in the last 7 days and their information has been sent to the owner’s of the sites they should belong to. Please continue to verify that all devices are using nc.jamfcloud.com. b) Please continue to re-register iOS devices with nc.jamfcloud.com THIS MUST BE DONE MANUALLY. There were 721 iOS device moved from 8>9 servers but only 21 show as having checked in with 9.x server since Jan1, 2014.
c) We have updated to Casper Suite 9.31 and the UUID issues seem to be fixed. We still continue to see problems delivering packages and are trying to determine if this is network or load related. d) we are preparing to bring other UNC System organizations into the JSS to begin the UNC System implementation. Please check and rename all Categories, Packages, Scripts, Directory Bindings, Disk Encryption Configurations, Dock Items, Configurations to include NCSU- at the beginning of the name of each. Discussion
3) Applying Kaspersky Endpoint Protection with Casper – 25 min.
OIT has selected Kaspersky Endpoint Protection as the replacement for our current antivirus package. There are untested packages and scripts on the Casper servers but they should be avoided until a final announcement is made. Policies should be made to remove Trend Micro using script “NCSU-OIT-Uninstall Trend Micro” and reboot. Then a policy to install and the Kaspersky agent and application should be made using the after scripts “NCSU-OIT-Kaspersky Endpoint Security Active NetAgent” and “NCSU-OIT-Kaspersky Endpoint Security Client” along with the DMG installer “ NCSU-OIT-Kaspersky Endpoint Security with NetAgent.dmg“. These have been tested with Self-Service only. Details on how each part works.
4) MacPro Demo – Francis Shepherd – 60 min.
Demo of new MacPro. Discussion.
5) Q&A – 5 min. You ask we try to answer
Next meeting – Jun 10, 2014 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Sep, Nov.
MacTech will not meet in July or August. All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.