MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, June 10, 2014
2:00 to 4:30 pm — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.8.5 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2014 – Current 10.7.5
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- *Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Kaspersky Endpoint Protection for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration with a local home on each machine
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases/background-unc-cpi
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://nc.jamfcloud.com/ (or go.ncsu.edu/mdmadmin)
- Everette at MacAdmin July 8-11, 2014
2) Kaspersky Endpoint Protection Changes – 10 min.
Last month we discussed details about delivery of Kaspersky Endpoint Protection with Casper as a multistep process. This has all changed to a single simple installer (https://nc.jamfcloud.com/packages.html?id=1770&o=r). There is also a script to rip out TrendMicro (https://nc.jamfcloud.com/scripts.html?id=253&o=r) and removal scripts for Kaspersky as well (agent removal https://nc.jamfcloud.com/scripts.html?id=256&o=r and client removal https://nc.jamfcloud.com/scripts.html?id=255&o=r). Discussion.
3) Casper 9 transition Update- 10 min
Several items for Casper Suite:
- About 3 OSX machines have checked into the old Casper 8 server in the last 7 days and their information has been sent to the owner’s of the sites they should belong to. Please continue to verify that all devices are using nc.jamfcloud.com.
- Please continue to re-register iOS devices with nc.jamfcloud.com THIS MUST BE DONE MANUALLY. There were 721 iOS device moved from 8>9 servers but only 137 have checked in with 9.x server since Jan1, 2014.
- We have updated to Casper Suite 9.31 and the UUID issues seem to be fixed. We still continue to see problems delivering packages and are trying to determine if this is network or load related.
- we continue to bring other UNC System organizations into the JSS. Please check and rename all Categories, Packages, Scripts, Directory Bindings, Disk Encryption Configurations, Dock Items, Configurations to include NCSU- at the beginning of the name of each. Discussion
4) Unified NetBoot Service Proposal – 10 min.
OIT is preparing 2 NetInstall sets and 1 NetBoot set for general use. The NetInstall sets are named nuke.nbi and up.nbi which will always contain the installation of the latest version of OS X for automated, unattended install. The nuke.nbi set will FORMAT and install OS X loosing all data on the drive. The up.nbi set will simply make a dirty install over top of the existing OS. The netboot set is named pave.nbi and boots to a captive, automated Casper Imaging.app for the purpose of adding and configuring machines to nc.jamfcloud.com. Work is still ongoing but we need to know how many folks would be interested in using this service ?
5) Unified Package Distribution Proposal – 10 min.
OIT would like to find folks that would volunteer to delete their packages for MS Office and Kaspersky in nc.jamfcloud.com and replace them with one package each that has been tested and reviewed per:
6) DEP, VPP, Apple ID and WWDC – Francis Shepherd – 60 min.
Presentation on the 3 new Apple deployment programs. Also public highlights from WWDC 2014. Discussion.
7) Q&A – 5 min. You ask we try to answer
Next meeting – Sep 9, 2014 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Sep, Nov.
MacTech or MacPolicy will not meet in July or August.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.