Upcoming workshops include:
- The NEW Google Sites Preview will be offered Thursday, Jan. 19 from noon to 1 p.m. via YouTube Live. Join this online session from the comfort of your work station to learn more about the Google Sites platform! The session will cover a range of topics including, creating and organizing new pages, choosing themes, embedding Google Drive folders and files, adding media, customized and basic Web design principles, publishing, setting permissions, publishing, and more. To register, visit Classmate.
- Duo Two-Factor Authentication IT Support Training will be offered Thursday, Jan. 19 from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. in Room 110 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. Intended for IT staff in user-support roles only, this one-hour session will cover common end-user questions, enrollment process, authentication options and settings, business processes and challenges, and adding and managing devices. To register for the computer lab session, visit Classmate.
Note: Additional classroom training is available on Wednesday, Jan. 26 and Thursday, Jan. 27 from 10 a.m to 11 a.m in Room 106 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. Participants MUST bring their own laptop and mobile devices (BYOD) to enroll in Duo. To register for this session, visit Classmate.
- OIT Co-Working – Pulling Up Your Legacy App By Its Bootstraps will be offered Friday, Jan. 20 from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Room 5101 of Talley Student Union. In this session, you see examples of how a legacy application was bootstrapped to be more helpful to its users and easier for developers to maintain. This session will talk about strategies to incorporate modern PHP coding practices to add features and functionality and strategies to retire old code. For more information and to register, visit Classmate.
- Create, Collaborate, & Get Organized with Google Drive will be offered Tuesday, Jan. 24 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. in Room 110 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. Google Drive is the backbone of your Google experience, combining storage, access, sharing, and collaboration with the power of Google Apps. During this hands-on workshop, you will learn how to use Drive to manage your resources in a collaborative environment. Primary topics will include organizing files and folders, securing documents through file sharing permissions, group editing and collaboration, and common tools throughout Google Apps. To register, visit Classmate.
- Cisco Jabber: Your All in One Collaboration Tool will be offered Tuesday, Jan. 24 from noon to 1 p.m. in Room 110 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. This Lunch & Learn event will provide an overview of how Cisco Jabber streamlines communications and enhances productivity by unifying presence, instant messaging, voice, video, voice messaging, screen sharing, and conferencing capabilities securely into one client on your desktop and mobile device. To register, visit Classmate.
- Google Sheets will be offered Wednesday, Jan. 25 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Room 110 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. Join us for this two-hour overview of Sheets and learn how it integrates with other apps in Google Drive. Participants will learn specific features, including formatting options, find & replace, notifications, conditional formatting, and more! To register, visit Classmate.
- Two Factor Authentication at NC State will be offered Thursday, Jan. 26 from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in Room 110 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. At NC State, we use two multi-factor solutions (a two-step login process) to protect many systems, accounts and services. Google 2-Step Verification protects G Suite accounts, and Duo protects Shibboleth-connected services, like the Mypack Portal and WolfWare. In this class, you’ll learn the risks to you and to campus from phishing and other nefarious online activities and how two-factor authentication can protect you and the university against cyber threats. To register, visit Classmate.
- Gmail: Advanced Productivity will be offered on Tuesday, Jan. 31 from 9 a.m. to noon in Room 110 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. Building on Gmail: More than your Inbox, this advanced hands-on workshop takes Gmail to the next level. You will learn more about labels, filters, canned responses, scheduling Google Calendar Events, Hangouts, and using Google Drive through Gmail, along with any planned or newly released features. To register, visit Classmate.
- Using ServiceNow will be offered Wednesday, Feb. 1 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Room 110 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. This course will introduce the campus user to the ServiceNow Service Management suite of applications. Whether you are a transition user of the old Remedy call tracking system, an IT support staff member in a department already using ServiceNow, or interested in starting to use ServiceNow, this course will help you understand not only the functional uses of ServiceNow, but also how ServiceNow can integrate better into your workflow. To register, visit Classmate.
- Google Docs–More than a Text Editor will be offered Thursday, Feb. 2 from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. in Room 110 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. This Web-based word processor provides users the ability to create and format online documents collaboratively using a variety of mobile devices. To register, visit Classmate.
- Gmail: More than your Inbox will be offered Tuesday, Feb. 7 from 9 a.m. to noon in Room 110 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. There is more to Gmail than just composing, replying to and forwarding messages. This workshop will provide an in-depth overview of Gmail features, including an emphasis on labels and search tools, contacts management, chat, tasks, settings, labs, and new features. A reference, including many additional helpful resources, will also be provided. To register, visit Classmate.
- Google Forms: Data Collection and Analysis will be offered Wednesday, Feb. 8 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Room 110 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. Easily build surveys, plan events and gather data with Google Forms. This workshop will cover the basics of creating forms, collaborative editing, and viewing data in spreadsheets and charts. It also will highlight several advanced features, such as custom themes, page breaks, question validation, and embedding forms in websites. To register, visit Classmate.
- Google Slides: Create, Collaborate, and Publish Presentations will be offered on Thursday, Feb. 9 from 10 a.m. to noon in Room 110 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. Learn how to create, edit and share presentations using Google Slides. You’ll also learn about themes, transitions, animations, and more! To register, visit Classmate.
- OIT Co-Working Cthulhu – Plugin and Theme Repository for WP will be offered on Friday, Feb. 10 from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Room 106 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. This session will include an overview of the Cthulhu plugin, a custom package repository integration for WordPress. Cthulhu allows custom-written plugins and themes to be installed and updated on WordPress instances without uploading to WordPress.org. This session also includes an overview of how the plugin is used in ITECS hosted WordPress sites and how developers and end-users can use Cthulhu on their own sites. To register, visit Classmate.
- Introduction to the NEW Google Sites will be offered on Tuesday, Feb. 14 from noon to 1 p.m. in Room 110 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. Explore Google Site’s new user-friendly interface with drag and drop functionality and learn how to build a new site, incorporating themes, Google Drive folders and files, media, permissions, and more! To register, visit Classmate.
- Cisco WebEx will be offered Wednesday, Feb. 15 from noon to 1 p.m. in Room 110 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. This lunch and learn event will provide an overview of how Cisco WebEx Online Meetings enables you to virtually meet, share content and video conference with anyone in the world with an Internet connection, including mobile users. To register, visit Classmate.
- Google Calendar will be offered on Thursday, Feb. 16 from 9 a.m. to noon in Room 110 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. If you’re comfortable with the basics of Google Calendar and are ready to use some more of its features, this hands-on workshop is for you. This workshop will focus on calendar sections (e.g., my calendar, other calendars, mini calendar), event details and calendar management. Specific features will include event attachments, maps and directions, sharing and embedding calendars, labs, quick add, search options, mobile notifications, and scheduling Hangouts (video conferencing). To register, visit Classmate.
- OIT Co-Working – A Shortcake-Powered Design Strategy for WordPress will be offered Friday, Feb. 17 from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Room 106 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. Discover Shortcake, a plugin to be included in WordPress core in the future. It allows developers to register a simple user interface (UI) to add a shortcode to a page and an editable preview of that shortcode to the WordPress Visual editor. By creating modular and reusable content blocks using shortcodes and the Shortcake UI, OIT is building a theme-agnostic toolbox of branded and accessible page elements that can be used across every campus website. To register, visit Classmate.
For other available training sessions, visit Classmate Scheduled Workshops. If you are interested in custom software training, complete the Custom Training Form. Email all training questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.