To save energy and to reduce its carbon footprint on campus, this fiscal year OIT implemented several new initiatives, including:
- PowerOn, a power management application that allows campus users to remotely power on certain desktops and servers connected to the campus wired network, when needed. This was a collaborative effort with the College of Natural Resources and the Office of Sustainability.
- Virtual Computing Lab (VCL) go App that allows iOS users access to the VCL, NC State’s cloud computing system that provides 24×7 remote access to high-end lab computers and software.
- Two PCard enhancements that drastically reduced the printing of receipts and statements via the OnBase Document Management System.
OIT encourages all campus IT users to learn new ways to conserve and protect IT resources. To get involved in Green IT, stop by our tent during the NC State Earth Fair on Wednesday, April 5 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Brickyard. There will be interactive and fun activities to show you how to:
- reduce the university’s carbon footprint,
- conserve and protect IT resources, and
- recycle electronics.
The NC State Earth Fair is one of many activities sponsored by the NC State Sustainability Office during Earth Month to show you how to make the world a safer and cleaner place. For more activities, see the Sustainability Office’s Earth Month website.