The first day of spring is March 20. As you begin your spring cleaning, don’t forget to clean up your mobile device to keep it germ-free and to run more efficiently.
Follow these easy tips to spring clean your mobile device:
- Delete or relocate. More often than not, downloaded files are used only once. Unfortunately, those downloads accumulate and take over the storage space in your device. Similarly, photos tend to take over your storage space too. For your smartphone, you can transfer photos easily, via a USB data-transfer cable, to your computer or send the photos to your cloud service. Delete or relocate files and photos to save a significant amount of space on your device.
- Get rid of unused apps. Take the time to browse your apps to see which ones you no longer use and can delete. Deleting them will provide you with more storage space. Purging unused apps is also a good security measure, since it reduces the ways your device can get infected or your information compromised.
- Update your device with the latest patches, apps and operating system. Patches are simply new updates the operating system needs to fix bugs and vulnerabilities. Install them as soon as possible. You should also run the latest version of the apps installed on your device, since newer versions often fix bugs and security holes. Whenever prompted, take the time to also update your device to the latest operating system to keep it up-to-date and safe from malware. If you prefer to be proactive, go to your device’s settings to check for all updates.
- Change your pin or pattern code for your lock screen. It’s always safer to change your passcode fairly frequently, as in once every few months. This eliminates shoulder surfers and former intimate chums from getting into your device — especially if you’re not entirely certain who knows your passcode.
- Physically clean your mobile device. Once you’ve cleared out memory space and built security for your device, physically clean it. Use a microfiber cloth to gently wipe the screen and surfaces. Microfiber attracts and removes unwanted oils and dust, whereas other products spread them around.
Follow these tips to ensure your mobile device remains protected and runs more smoothly and efficiently.