MacTech Groups Agenda
Tuesday, Sep 10, 2019
~3:00 to 4:30 pm (or immediately after Apple Event)
Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Announcements – 5 min
- OIT only supports macOS 10.13.6 or newer
- Status page for jamfcloud.com services see http://status.jamfsoftware.com
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Slack group ncstateit.slack.com #macintosh
- Apple Sales: Paul Petrogeorgeemail@example.com & Sys Eng: Dave Andersenfirstname.lastname@example.org
- macOS versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage.
- Antivirus for university owned devices – go.ncsu.edu/antivirus
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses Active Directory configuration with local home directory at /Users/$uid$
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should request invitation by opening a help desk ticket at email@example.com Must login to GSX monthly!!
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/campus-it/it-purchasing/unc-combined-pricing-initiative-cpi-program-at-nc-state/
- JAMF Pro Enterprise service go.ncsu.edu/jamf, go.ncsu.edu/jamfinfo and go.ncsu.edu/uwc for details
- JNUC 2019 www.jamf.com/events/jamf-nation-user-conference/2019/ Everette attending, Joey J. Presenting.
Training – 5 min
OIT-iOS Mobile Device Security – TBA reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-iOSMob-Security&deptName=OIT
**TIME and Location Change!– OIT-Managing Apple Devices with Jamf Pro – Sep 24, 2019 – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-JPro01-JPro01&deptName=OIT
HLB 331 (3rd floor) 0900-1130
OIT-Jamf Pro Best Practices for Packagers – Oct 24, 2019 – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-JPro03-JPro03&deptName=OIT
OIT-Advanced Apple Device Management with Jamf Pro – 11/19/2019 reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-JPro02-JPro02&deptName=OIT
CrashPlan for Sub-Org Administrators – Request – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-CPlan1-CPlan1&deptName=OIT
Local Based Commercial Training – training.computertree.com/course/
JAMF Pro Training – www.jamf.com/training/
Service Updates – 15 min
Configuration Management – Jamf Pro 10.14.1 is production.
Jamf Pro 10.14.1 is now available for test on nccloudtest.jamfcloud.com
Jamf Pro 10.15.0 is in Beta 2.
NOTE: For emailed Enrollment Invitations (and any other email notifications) the From field MUST be firstname.lastname@example.org
Patch Definition Management – Community Patch No change. PLEASE TEST in nccloudtest.jamfcloud.com!!
kinobi.io beta has been added to nccloudtest.jamfcloud.com. Kinobi is in beta now and has ~385 patch definitions and adding. Again, Please test!
CrashPlan – Production service is now fully hosted, version 7.0.0, uses AzureAD SSO and requires Duo (if the user is enabled). Standalone installers should not be required for existing clients but are available by request from software.ncsu.edu. The macOS install in Jamf Pro has 2 installers that must be used in the policy. The
NCSU-Campus-Install Code42CrashPlan License and Config.pkg
NCSU-Campus-Install Code42 CrashPlan700.pkg
Internet Recovery – https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904 Command-Option-R to install latest version for hardware or Command-R to install currently installed version.
Software Packaging – there is new development on JSS-Importer and many of the tools that use it (spruce, joss-helper, etc) have been unified under https://github.com/jssimporter.
AntiMalware– MSSCEP is End Of Life by Microsoft and should be removed. DetectX Swift is available and should be installed see oit.ncsu.edu/help-support/apple/jamf-pro/detectx-setup-in-jamf-pro/
Sensitive Data Discovery – NCSU-Campus-Spirion10800.pkg
Apple School Manager – No changes or updates. Working to test and see if we can enable Federated Login with NCSU Azure.
AppleCare for Enterprise update – AppleCare for Enterprise is on hold pending Apple being able to add to MarketPlace
Endpoint Protection Standard – Phase 1 deadline has past. Phase 2 is Dec 31, 2020. Please note the updates to the implementation plan to include iOS/iPadOS with no deadline yet.
See Jamf Pro Cheat Sheet at:
Adobe Licensing – 5 min
We are still waiting on the final word on Adobe Licensing(maybe next week). Right now all installers including Acrobat for 2019 are named license installers. If you need to have a multi-user device then install the correct department/lab Shared Devices license from OIT- Software Licensing. Discussion
Further Discussion of Apple Announcements with Dave Anderson – 20 min
We will pickup any discussion and questions on Apple Event announcements or new Apple OS updates in public beta.
Preparing for Catalina – 20 min
— hardware supported is same as Mojave
— 32bit Apps are gone Look out for these.
— CUPS printer drivers, filters, etc are deprecated. Will work for now but gone soon.
— for machines using MDM( Jamf for NCSU) will be able to get and used SecureToken BootStrap to enable File Vault for users not created at setup.
— Readonly system APFS system volume with separate “data” volume for user files
— T2 macOS devices now have activation lock
— Kexts ( Kernel Extensions) must be noterized and MUST reboot to load. These will be like OpenAFS/AuriStor, VPN, etc.
— System Extensions that run as UserLand processes will replace kexts going forward
Q&A – 15 min
You ask we try to answer
MacTech – Tue. Oct 8, 2019 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacTech dos not meet in July.
Meetings usually held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.