MacTech Groups Agenda
Tuesday, Apr 14, 2020
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Announcements – 5 min
- OIT only supports macOS 10.13.6 or newer
- Status page for jamfcloud.com services see http://status.jamfsoftware.com
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Slack group ncstateit.slack.com #macintosh
- Apple Sales: Paul Petrogeorgeemail@example.com & Sys Eng: Dave Andersenfirstname.lastname@example.org
- macOS versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage.
- Antivirus for university owned devices – go.ncsu.edu/antivirus
- Unity Macintosh MultiUser Workflow uses NoLoAD configuration with local home directory at /Users/$uid$
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to verify prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should request invitation by opening a help desk ticket at email@example.com Must login to GSX monthly!!
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/campus-it/it-purchasing/unc-combined-pricing-initiative-cpi-program-at-nc-state/
- JAMF Pro Enterprise service go.ncsu.edu/jamf, go.ncsu.edu/jamfinfo and go.ncsu.edu/uwc for details
Training – 5 min (any course available via Meet/Zoom upon request)
OIT-iOS Mobile Device Security – TBA
OIT-Managing Apple Devices with Jamf Pro – TBA –
OIT-Jamf Pro Best Practices for Packagers – TBA –
OIT-Advanced Apple Device Management with Jamf Pro – Apr 7, 2020
CrashPlan for Sub-Org Administrators – Request –
Local Based Commercial Training – training.computertree.com/course/
JAMF Pro Training – www.jamf.com/training/
Service Updates – 30 min
Configuration Management – Jamf Pro production is 10.19.0
Jamf Pro 10.20.1 in test on nccloudtest.jamfcloud.com. Jamf Pro 10.21b2 is latest beta.
The UNC-SO Template still being renegotiated at SO. Expect a $2 per seat price (it looks like OIT will still pay for campus) after renewal in Oct.
Jamf Pro is the only approved Configuration Management system for macOS, iOS/iPadOS, and tvOS. See https://oit.ncsu.edu/it-security/eps-implementation/config-mgt-systems/
Patch Definition Management – Kinobi Standard Hosted patch definition service(kinobi.io) is in place and available for use
Back up for Endpoints – CrashPlan production service is at version 7.7.0. Resolved some issues that were causing slow backups by excluding cache files in user home directories
Internet Recovery – https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904
Software Packaging –The Spirion server upgrade is complete. Working on packaging version 11 client which is 64 bit clean and works with macOS 10.15+ (vendor is only 6 months late).
AntiMalware – DetectX Swift is still available and should be installed see oit.ncsu.edu/help-support/apple/jamf-pro/detectx-setup-in-jamf-pro/ Still no meeting of the OIT AV Steering teams scheduled. Still no edu pricing on Jamf Protect yet as UNC-SO and Jamf still working on template contract. Some discussion within OIT about Crowd Strike Falcon (currently used on VMs) but no funding identified.
Sensitive Data Discovery – NCSU-Campus-Spirion10800.pkg
The upgrade to 11.4.x client was put on hold by S&C due to lockdown, testing continues.
Apple School Manager – No changes or updates.
AppleCare for Enterprise – Still on hold pending Apple being able to add to MarketPlace. It appears that Apple is working on a template contract with UNC-SO to provide leasing and leased devices MAY be bundled with AppleCare for Enterprise but we have not seen the contracts yet.
Endpoint Protection Standard – Phase 2 deadline-Dec 31, 2020. See Jamf Pro Cheat Sheet at:
Doing some work to test Jamf AD CS to deliver device certificates for automated use of Eduroam. Delivery of certificates is working but seeing issues with certificate algorithms and trust.
Cisco AnyConnect VPN 4.8.03036+ DNS issues – 20 min
Everyone should be deploying 4.8.00175 which is default on vpn.ncsu.edu and supports macOS 10.15.x. After this version the client is not broken and running it with a Full Tunnel group works just fine. Cisco has started to require a change in the ASA configuration:
This is a policy change and there will not be a client fix.
Everette has opened a ticket with NCSU ComTech.
Also Cisco is still using a Kernel Extension and not the newer System Extension which will be required by 10.16. Expect vendor lag here.
macOS 10.15.x issues– 10 min
We are hearing some reports of hard crashing (kernel fault, reboot only way out) after macOS 10.15.4 update. The 10.15.4 supplemental update did not seem to fix the issue. This is happening after large amounts of data are transferred over the network (I/O threads actually) like with TimeMachine, CrashPlan or in longer Meets video conferences. There also appears to be some issues in waking from sleep. Best summary is www.macrumors.com/2020/04/06/macos-10-5-4-kernel-panic-crashing-issues/
Any remote working issues??- 15 min
Discussion of remote working issues. What is the most common help call you are seeing? Is anyone getting Chrome Remote Help to work?
Misc. Interesting Tidbits – 15 min
-Boot to different modes for recovery or diagnostics:
-Erasing a FileVault-encrypted T2-equipped Mac
-Adobe Vendor Lag
– New Certificate Requirements for Apple Trust
Using Pro Apps Education bundle(Final Cut Pro, etc) for device licensed management
Q&A – 15 min
You ask we try to answer
MacTech – Tue. May 12, 2020 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm (or virtual).
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacTech dos not meet in July.
Meetings usually held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.