MacTech Group Agenda
September 8, 2009
2:30 to 4:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.3 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2008
- OIT will support only version 10.4.11 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2009
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp.
- OIT does not support Classic mode on either ppc or intel hardware at all.
- MacOS AMP Licenses and Media at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- VirusBarrior X5 – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Update filters with NetUpdate.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site http://oit.ncsu.edu/macintosh for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the LDAPv3 configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- All OIT distributed Symantec Antivirus software should have been removed by June 22, 2009 to remain in license compliance.
- OIT will only support Apple branded, Intel, Macintosh hardware for Unity Macintosh kits after Dec. 31, 2009.
2) Fall 2008 Unity Macintosh Lab Kit Available and Known Issues – 10 min.
Short list of Known Issues:
MatLab 2008a should be removed, Admin Users must cancel kerberos dialogs, PPC must replace Matlab, PPC must install VPython 2.6 libs for VIDLE to work, some reports of Adobe CS4 products quitting on launch – no resolution but reboot machine seems to help, reports of Adobe license error dialogs on launch of CS4 products – Thanks to Scott Lennon see Adobe Support Site: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405970.html, still some reports of printing issues related to users not authenticating and jobs going on hold in the local CUPS queues – push queue clears frequently with ARD to work around. Other issues? Discussion.
3) Mac OS X VLA survey – 10 min.
Early numbers show about a 17% increase in Macintosh computers on campus. We have seen that not all units have reported. Please take time to take the survey again with the best possible counts so we can accurately negotiate a VLA before the deadline next year. Please check the printout at this meeting as well. This was your HOMEWORK due by the this meeting Sep 8, 2009.
This survey will be closed September 30, 2009. Discussion.
4) 10.6.0 Issues – 10 min.
There have been several issue reported with 10.6.0 Snow Leopard release. A minor update is expected to be released soon by Apple according to many web sites. Check the bottom of oit.ncsu.edu/macintosh for known issues published by Apple and possible solutions or work arounds. Discussion
5) WolfTech Group Issue Update – 10 min.
We continue to work with the WolfTech AD group to resolve the issue where directory services group membership check api’s return incorrect information. We have verified that the api’s return correctly with using the test AD WolfTest. We will be working with Security and Compliance and ISO to audit the directory objects in both domains to try to find and reproduce the issue. Update: No progress due to limited staff resources at the beginning of the Fall 2009 semester. Discussion
7) Tech Short: Installing 10.6 from the OIT Disk Image Distribution – 20 min.
There has been some confusion about how to use the multi-part disk image to install Mac OS X 10.6 for AMP licensees.
Demo and discussion of how to make this work.
8) Q&A – 15 min
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tuesday. Oct 13, 2009 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: 2009: Jan. 13, Feb. 10, Mar. 10, Apr. 14, May. 12, Jun. 9, Aug. 11, Sep. 8, Oct. 13, Nov. 10, Dec.8
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: 2009: Jan. 13, Mar. 10, May. 12, Aug 11, Sep. 8, Nov. 10.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.