MacTech Group Agenda
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
2:30 to 4:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.3 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2008
- OIT will support only version 10.4.11 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2009
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp.
- OIT does not support Classic mode on either ppc or intel hardware at all.
- MacOS AMP Licenses and Media at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- VirusBarrior X5 – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Update filters with NetUpdate.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site http://oit.ncsu.edu/macintosh for updates.
- New short url for OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the LDAPv3 configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- All OIT distributed Symantec Antivirus software should have been removed by June 22, 2009 to remain in license compliance.
- OIT will only support Apple branded, Intel, Macintosh hardware for Unity Macintosh kits after Dec. 31, 2009.
2) Support Policies – 5 min.
Many folks may have read the web article about end of security updates for version 10.4.x from http://www.9to5mac.com/tiger_support_ends_50067. I asked the Apple Systems Engineer about this and he said there are no official “end of support” notices for 10.4.x from Apple. The support policy OIT functions under for the supported OS set (Windows, MacOS X, Linux, Solaris) is that we will support a given version until the vendor of the OS no long provides security updates either officially or functionally. For Mac OS X this means, as announced, OIT will support only 10.4.11 and newer after December 31, 2009.
3) New Kiosk and Sign Kit based on 10.6 – 10 min.
A new model for controlled deployments has been developed for the kiosk and sign kits. Moving to 10.6.1+ allows OIT to use the local Directory Service on each machine to create managed users for kiosk and sign. OIT is finishing rewriting the webXkiosk software to work with 10.6+ and add features for kiosk and sign support as well as printing of administrative documents (w2, etc). The new sign kit addresses reported issues with overlapping QuickTime Internet Plug-ins. Discussion.
4) 10.6.0 Issues – 10 min.
There have been several issue reported with 10.6.0 Snow Leopard release. Updates for 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 have addressed several of these issues and 10.6.2 will be the base OS for the Spring 2010 Macintosh Kits. Check the bottom of oit.ncsu.edu/macintosh for known issues published by Apple and possible solutions or work arounds. Discussion
5) Needs for Spring 2010 kit “Round the Room” – 30 min.
OIT is beginning to work on the Spring 2010 Unity Lab Kit and we need your input on what software and changes from the Fall 2009 Kit you will need. Each member will be asked to state their need for software, directory binding policy, and other changes. Discussion.
7) Tech Short: Installing 10.6 from the OIT Disk Image Distribution AGAIN – 20 min.
There has been some confusion about how to use the multi-part disk image to install Mac OS X 10.6 for AMP licensees.
Demo and discussion of how to make this work.
8) Q&A – 15 min
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tuesday. Dec. 8, 2009 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: 2009: Jan. 13, Feb. 10, Mar. 10, Apr. 14, May. 12, Jun. 9, Aug. 11, Sep. 8, Oct. 13, Nov. 10, Dec.8
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: 2009: Jan. 13, Mar. 10, May. 12, Aug 11, Sep. 8, Nov. 10.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.