MacPolicy Group Agenda
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.5.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2011
- OIT will support only version 10.6.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2012
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Server Beta
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug
- UNC CAUSE is November 1-3, 2011 – Everette Presenting BOF on App Stores
2) iOS and OS X App Store Purchase Process Update – 5 min.
Campus Purchasing has advised the Mobile Device working group that they will provide guidelines on how to purchase software from app stores by the end of September 2011. The Mobile Device working group has a goal of October 30, 2011 to report recommendations on the guidelines. Discussion.
3) OS X Volume purchase VS AELP Volume License Explanation – 10 min.
Confusion still remains on the difference in these two ways to make bulk purchases from Apple. Volume purchase for OS X and other Apple software is different from the AELP VLA which OIT Administers for campus. OS X volume purchase allows for purchase of blocks of 20 licenses and must be purchased as individual software packages (http://www.apple.com/mac/volume-licensing/). The AELP provides the Mac Software Collection which includes OS X, iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote), and iLife (iTunes, iMovie, Garage Band, iPhoto, etc) at a tiered cost model. For Campus, OIT purchases at the best tier price for the number of folks participating and recovers direct cost. The cost of the equivalent of the Mac Software Collection using Volume purchase 20+ education pricing is $68.93 per seat. If any Apple licenses are needed please contact Bill_Coker@ncsu.edu. NOTE: These programs are NOT the same as the iOS Volume purchase. See
4) OSX Collection Renewal – 15 min.
OIT will be sending out renewals for the Mac Software Collection bundle with binding counts due before September 23, 2011. The cost this year based on meeting our present volume is $28.50 per seat IF everyone renews. If we do not meet our volume on renewal then the per seat cost will increase significantly. Recall that this license covers OS X, iWork and iLife software with one year maintenance on each. Discussion.
5) Other License renewals due in November: Casper Suite, Apple Remote Desktop, OS X Server – 5 min.
OIT will be sending out renewals for Casper Suite, Apple Remote Desktop, and OS X Server Volume Licenses before November 2011.
In past years OIT has been able to absorb some of the cost of these licenses but this will no longer be the case. OIT will purchase on a direct cost recovery basis using the best tier cost from our vendors and actual requested count of licenses. Discussion.
6) Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Nov 8, 2011 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July 2011.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.