MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Room B3 Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.5.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2011
- OIT will support only version 10.6.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2012
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Server Beta https://18.104.22.168:8443/
- UNC CAUSE is November 1-3, 2011 – Everette Presenting BOF on App Stores
3) OS X Software Set for Fall 2011 Follow up – 15 min.
OIT is using Casper Suite to deliver all software for Fall 2011 lab installs. Known issues: 1) Trend Micro office Scan for Macintosh severely impacted performance and hangs reboot of OIT Unity Lab machines we are working on a fix that balances load between the antivirus servers. 2) A few machines seem to take a long time for their MCX setting to take effect and may require an administrator log in followed by a reboot to work. This looks like an issue on some machines with MCX in 10.6.8. Discussion.
4) OS X Volume purchase VS AELP Volume License Explanation – 10 min.
Confusion still remains on the difference in these two ways to make bulk purchases from Apple. Volume purchase for OS X and other Apple software is different from the AELP VLA which OIT Administers for campus. OS X volume purchase allows for purchase of blocks of 20 licenses and must be purchased as individual software packages (http://www.apple.com/mac/volume-licensing/). The AELP provides the Mac Software Collection which includes OS X, iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote), and iLife (iTunes, iMovie, Garage Band, iPhoto, etc) at a tiered cost model. For Campus, OIT purchases at the best tier price for the number of folks participating and recovers direct cost. The cost of the equivalent of the Mac Software Collection using Volume purchase 20+ education pricing is $68.93 per seat. If any Apple licenses are needed please contact Bill_Coker@ncsu.edu. Discussion.
5) Guesses and Predictions about New Products – 15 min.
We try to summarize RUMORS about what new products we could see from Apple.
6) Q&A – 15 min. You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Oct 11, 2010 in Room B3 Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July 2011.
All meetings will be held in B3 Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.