MacPolicy Group Agenda
Tuesday, November 8, 2011
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.5.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2011
- OIT will support only version 10.6.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2012
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx2.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Server Beta
2) UNC GA Apple Bulk Purchases – 5 min.
UNC GA has committed to collecting bulk orders on a quarterly basis in order to get deeper discounts beyond the current educational discounts. The “new” discount we will get from Apple will be *in addition* to the standard education discount (4-9%) you see on their education store webpage. How much the final discount will be will depend on the total number of orders we receive. In the September Quarter, we averaged an additional 8.98% discount over standard educational pricing.
The December order dates are:
Monday, November 28 – UNCGA will start collecting web proposals from campuses
Tuesday, December 6 – deadline for submitting web proposals to GA (will be sent to Apple at close of business)
Thursday, December 8 – expected day to deliver Apple’s pricing “re-quote” to campuses
Friday, December 16 – deadline for campus to submit campus PO to Apple – must be in Apple’s hands on this day!
Web Proposals, with the requisition ID of the order referenced, should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Discussion.
3) License renewals due in November: Apple Remote Desktop, OS X Server – 5 min.
OIT will be sending out renewals for Apple Remote Desktop, and OS X Server Volume Licenses before December 2011.
OIT will purchase on a direct cost recovery basis using the best tier cost from our vendors and actual requested count of licenses. Discussion. NOTES: .
4) Casper Enterprise Deployment Update – 20 min.
OIT has done several updates to the Casper Suite Beta Server to get iOS 5 and Lion support. GSX2 support update will be applied as available from JAMF. We have developed a VMWare based, REL7 virtual server setup with clustered MySQL backend that is now in testing. This will be the load balanced, high availability, enterprise Casper Server. Description of server and setup. We hope to transition to this setup during the Winter Break. Discussion.
5) Spring 2012 Software Needs – 20 min.
Will go around the room to get needs from each unit. OIT is working hard to move to 10.7. Freeze date is December 9, 2011. Discussion.
6) Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Jan 9, 2012 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July 2012.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.