MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
2:30 to 4:30 pm Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.5.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2011
- OIT will support only version 10.6.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2012
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx2.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin
2) JAMF Regional Conference in Raleigh March 6 with NCCUG Meeting – 5 min
Everette will be presenting after lunch on BYO…IT?!. The NCCUG will be meeting at lunch. Here at JC Raulston Arboretum. Registration is free. Discussion.
3) Casper Suite Enterprise Deployment Update – 45 min
The update to enterprise service is complete. Now have 2 VM-based, load balanced servers in 2 physically different data centers. The database is on the clustered mysql2 service like all other enterprise mysql based services. There are to load balanced Distribution servers and 3 netboot servers. Other distribution and netboot servers can be added via simple configuration. JAMFSoftware has just released a netboot/distribution/ASU server as a VM Appliance based on Ubuntu (https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProduct.html?id=180) we are looking at this to see if we can add more redundant netboot and distribution servers. NOTE: several OSX machines have last checkin date of 10/18/2011. These machines likely have a known issue where the local machine certificate is blank causing checkins and updates to fail. The fix for this issue is at : oit.ncsu.edu/macintosh/empty-keychain-issue-casper-agent-83x
10.6.x updating to 10.7.x best practices. Issue with 10.7.x where PKG installers that update file in /User must be run with a user logged in (ie when loginwindow session is up).
4) 10.7.3 Update Issues- 10 min
Some issues have be experienced with the 10.7.3 update from SWU. Machines updated using the Combo updater from support.apple.com/kb/DL1484 do not seem to have the same issues. Discussion
5) Tech Short: Securing Remote Login (ssh) for 10.7- 30 min
Review of oit.ncsu.edu/macintosh/securing-os-x-107-sshd. This could be related to some of the AD Lockout issues we have seen if the machines are bound. Discussion
6) Rumors – 5 min. iPad3, MacPro, 15″ Air
7) Q&A – 10 min. You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Mar. 13, 2012 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.