MacPolicy Group Agenda
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.5.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2011
- OIT will support only version 10.6.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2012
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx2.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin
2) UNC GA Apple Bulk Purchases Followup – 10 min.
Discussion of Spring GA Bulk Purchase. Issues?
- Casper Suite Enterprise Deployment Update – 15 min
The update to enterprise service is complete. Now have 2 VM-based, load balanced servers in 2 physically different data centers. The database is on the clustered mysql2 service like all other enterprise mysql based services. There are 2 load balanced Distribution servers and 3 netboot servers. Other distribution and netboot servers can be added via simple configuration. JAMFSoftware has just released a netboot/distribution/ASU server as a VM Appliance based on Ubuntu (https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProduct.html?id=180) we are testing at this to see if we can add more redundant netboot and distribution servers. The test VMware machine has been setup and we are moving to test. Discussion.
5) Casper to SCCM Bridge Update – 10 min.
Everette worked with Michael Underwood on the SCCM team to setup a test of the JAMF Casper to SCCM bridge. We ran into an issue where everything works but the SCCM plug-in can not write the data from Casper into SCCM. In working with JAMF Support we were told that the plug-in does not yet support Active Directory deployments that are all Native Mode (many Active Directory deployments have been in Mixed Mode). A fix is being worked on by the vendor for a future release. We agreed to wait on for that fix.
6) Software Needs Summer 2012 and Fall 2012- 10 min.
Feed back on software needed for Summer or Fall semesters?
7) Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. May. 8, 2012 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.