MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, February 14, 2017
2:30 to 4:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT only supports OS X 10.11.6 and macOS 10.12 or newer
- Status page for jamfcloud.com services see http://status.jamfsoftware.com
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Slack group ncstateit.slack.com #macintosh
- Apple Sales Rep: Paul Petrogeorgeemail@example.com & System Eng: Francis firstname.lastname@example.org
- The next Apple bulk buy February 17, 2017
- macOS and OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- Antivirus for campus – go.ncsu.edu/antivirus
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses Active Directory configuration with local home directory at /Users/$uid$
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval. Must login monthly to keep!!
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases/background-unc-cpi
- JAMF Pro Enterprise service go.ncsu.edu/casper, go.ncsu.edu/casperinfo and go.ncsu.edu/UWC for details
2) Training Needs??- 5 min
- Secure Your iOS Devices (iPhone and iPad) – Wed May 17, 2017 AFH-106-OIT-Multipurpose Room
and Fri, Mar 3 from 12-1:30pm see go.ncsu.edu/lunchnlearns
- OIT-Managing OS X with Casper Suite – Request
- OIT-Casper Best Practices for Packagers – Request
- OIT-Advanced OS X Management with Casper – Request
- Local Based Commercial Training
3) Service Updates- 20 min
Casper – Fighting 2 LDAP issues and cleaning up for Patch Titles with JCDS. New InstallESD.dmg for 10.12.3 loaded.
CrashPlan -Looking at reported slowness issue where 5.x client is scanning for peer backup devices on 4242.
NetInstall – nuke.nbi/sh is macOS 10.12.3. 10.11.3 set (nuke10113.nbi & sh). are still available if needed.
AutoPKGR – Issue with macOS 10.12 fixed. Looking at recipes that replace apps with current version <app>.current
Antivirus -Kaspersky contract expires ~ end of Feb 2017. No antivirus for non-university devices. Univ-Owned should
use: NCSU-Campus-System Center Endpoint Protection for macOS Installer.pkg at nc.jamfcloud.com/packages.html?id=3853
DEP/VPP/Apple School – still waiting for Apple School Manger to come out of beta before updating.
Endpoint Protection – CAS is supporting Required Inventory and Configuration management requirement for macOS and iOS
4) New Standard for Endpoint Protection iOS- 20 min
New Draft Endpoint Protection standard will require both macOS and iOS university devices to comply, I wanted to talk about the needs for iOS and how the new controls might be helpful.
5) Tech Short – Bluetooth Audio Stuttering – 10 min
We are seeing some macOS devices running 10.11 and 10.12 that can not deliver good audio over bluetooth. There is no fix from Apple but several work-arounds make the sound quality usable again. One of the easy ones is:
defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent “Apple Bitpool Min (editable)” 53
See this link for a script and other information:
6) Q&A – 15 min
You ask we try to answer
MacTech – Tue. Mar 14, 2017 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday each quarter in Feb, May, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will not meet in July. Meetings usually held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.