In celebration of Data Privacy Month, Jan. 28 to Feb 28, the Office of Information Technology (OIT) is sponsoring Protect the Pack! Protect Your Data! to empower you with tools and the knowledge necessary to protect your privacy and control your digital footprint. Sponsored by the National Cyber Security Alliance, Data Privacy Month also stresses the protection of privacy and data as everyone’s priority.
During Data Privacy Month, OIT will sponsor the following activities to help you secure your digital assets:
- What’s Your Cybersecurity IQ? (Lunch & Learn Series)
Noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 15
106 Avent Ferry Technology Center
Do you know what it takes to keep your valuable information safe in cyberland? Come to this workshop to learn tips to create better passwords, add layers of security to your accounts, avoid phishing attacks, and more!
- Data Sensitivity Framework Training
2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 16
Talley Student Union Mountains Ballroom
On NC State’s campus, security defense is local to the campus community. Every student, faculty and staff member has an awesome responsibility to guard their digital assets and those of the university against cyber threats. In this session, you will:
- Be provided with the basic tools to effect such a defense.
- Gain a better understanding of the value of data to you, the university and potential hackers. You will learn about:
- the global threat to your digital assets
- what motivates hackers
- likely methods of attacks
- recent NC State security breaches
- Gain insight into NC State’s approach to defend against cyber threats.
- Develop an understanding of the university’s data classification standard, including the different types of data maintained on campus and suitable storage locations.
- Learn how to set up your devices with two-factor authentication services (Google 2-Step Verification and Duo 2-Factor Authentication) at NC State to stop hackers in their tracks; they can steal your passwords, but with two-factor enabled, it will be useless to them!
- Two-Factor Authentication at NC State
2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 21
110 Avent Ferry Technology Center
Don’t be confused by its many names — multi-factor, 2-step or two-factor; just think of it as an extra layer of security for your most important NC State accounts and services. At NC State, we use two multi-factor solutions: Google 2-Step for Google accounts and Duo to protect Shibboleth-enabled services, like the MyPack Portal and WolfWare. In this class, you will:
- Learn the risks to you and to campus from phishers and other cyber criminals.
- Learn the benefits of two-factor authentication.
- Learn how two-factor protects you (and campus) from cyber threats.
- Have the opportunity to set up your account with Duo and Google 2-Step.
Please bring a mobile device to the workshop to complete the setup process. All NC State employees will be required to enroll in both Google 2-Step and Duo by Oct. 31 and are encouraged to enroll now.
- Wolfpack Way of Life Wellness Fair
11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 23
Talley Student Union Ballroom
Stop by our table to learn more about Google 2-Step, Duo 2, Eduroam, and mobile device security.
- SANS Securing the Human videos
From password protecting to encrypting your data, SANS Securing the Human videos offer numerous security measures you can use immediately to protect your data. Take a few minutes to watch all of the brief videos — especially Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Personally Identifiable Information (PII), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Data Protection — to learn valuable steps to protect the privacy of all campus constituents. Sign in to Moodle with your Unity ID and password and then click Enroll me to access the videos.
- Secure Tweets
Follow us on Twitter to learn helpful security measures to safeguard your data during Data Privacy Month.
Participants will also have the opportunity to win prizes, including Beats Solo2 wireless headphones, an Apple keyboard and Hypersecu U2F security keys. Attend all Data Privacy Month events to increase your chances of winning.