MacTech Group Agenda
March 14, 2017 2:30 to 4:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
* OIT only supports OS X 10.11.6 and macOS 10.12 or newer
* Status page for jamfcloud.com services see http://status.jamfsoftware.com
* OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
* Slack group ncstateit.slack.com #macintosh
* Apple Sales Rep: Paul Petrogeorgefirstname.lastname@example.org & System Eng: Francis email@example.com
* macOS and OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
* Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
* Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage.
* Antivirus for campus – go.ncsu.edu/antivirus
* Unity Macintosh Workflow uses Active Directory configuration with local home directory at /Users/$uid$
* OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
* Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
* Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com
Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval. Must login monthly!!
* UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases/background-unc-cpi
* JAMF Pro Enterprise service go.ncsu.edu/casper, go.ncsu.edu/casperinfo and go.ncsu.edu/UWC for details
* MacPolicy will meet Tue May 9, 2017 from 1:30-2:30 pm
* JNUC 2017 Oct 24-27, 2017 – jamf.com/events/jamf-nation-user-conference/2017/ – Everette will attend for OIT
2) Training Needs??- 5 min
* Secure Your iOS Devices (iPhone and iPad) – Wed May 17, 2017 AFH-106-OIT-Multipurpose Room – webapps.ncsu.edu/classmate/workshop/index/details/workshopId/343
* OIT-Managing OS X with Jamf Pro – Thu Aug 10, 2017 from 1:30-4:30 pm – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-JPro01-JPro01&deptName=OIT
* OIT-Casper Best Practices for Packagers – Request – webapps.ncsu.edu/classmate/workshop/index/details/workshopId/351
* OIT-Advanced OS X Management with Jamf Pro – Request – webapps.ncsu.edu/classmate/workshop/index/details/workshopId/881
* CrashPlan for Sub-Org Administrators – Wed Jun 7, 2017 from 1-4 pm – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-CPlan1-CPlan1&deptName=OIT
* Local Based Commercial Training – training.computertree.com/course/
3) Purpose Statement for CAS -10 min
The CAS has asked that we provide a purpose statement that covers what we do. Proposed purpose statement at:
4) Jamf Pro 9.98 Issue with macOS 10.9 and older – 10 min
From Jamf Support:
” We’ve identified an issue on Friday (04072017) were we can see 10.9 (and older) machines fail to install packages delivered over HTTP/S, which is the default protocol for both the JDS and JCDS. Further exacerbating the issue, they will also fail to notify the JSS that there was a failure. The issue will impact 10.9 and older machines(10.9-10.7). We hadn’t talked much about anything older than that, as with 9.96 we removed support completely for 10.5 and 10.6, and deprecated support for 10.7 and 10.8. The machines will upgrade their binaries as expected, but will fail to download packages from HTTP/S distribution points like the JCDS or JDS, and not report that failure to the JSS, resulting in client machines missing packages, but reporting that they received them successfully.
At this point, it doesn’t look like this is going to be included in a hot fix release and will not be repaired until 9.99″
Note that nc.jamfcloud.com is running 9.971488+.
5) Service Updates- 20 min
Jamf Pro – Upgrading to 9.98 Wed Apr 19, 2017 fixes 1 LDAP issue and 2 issues with JCDS. Plan to move to JCDS master by June 30, 2017 depending on sync testing. Purchased the Service Now Plugin for Jamf Pro to replace custom inventory import (www.jamf.com/resources/jamf-pro-and-servicenow-integration/). NCSSM LDAP has been added so we now have 8 LDAP servers. Rumors: FSU may join. New prices for support at Nov renewal might add $1.80 per seat.
CrashPlan -Adding CHASS soon.
NetInstall – nuke.nbi/sh is macOS 10.12.3. 10.11.3 set (nuke10113.nbi & sh). are still available if needed. 10.12.4 is not working and appears to be broken for netinstall.
AutoPKGR – Looking at removing Extension Attribute updates due to JAMF Patch Titles. No new recipes.
Antivirus – No antivirus for non-university devices. NCSU-Campus-System Center Endpoint Protection for macOS Installer.pkg at nc.jamfcloud.com/packages.html?id=3853
DEP/VPP/Apple School – still waiting for Apple School Manger to come out of beta before updating.
Endpoint Protection – Working on mac OS profile and package testing to go along with
Draft “BluePrint for macOS Endpoint Protection” (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Pdv8Z3aU374i1cNwvvrEd3yRnmeU2qXRolpYwP8jaUs/edit), Also looking at creating Service Now “Endpoint Compliance” report for all points of the standard.
5) Tech Short – DEP for AppleTV – 10 min
tvOS 10.2 does support OTA enrollment with DEP and allows complete OTA management via MDM. JAMF 9.98 does support now. Auto advance thru the setup assistant supported (hope this will move to other OS). Demo Discussion
6) Q&A – 15 min
You ask we try to answer
MacTech – Tue. May 9, 2017 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday each quarter in Feb, May, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will not meet in July. Meetings usually held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.