MacPolicy Group Agenda
Tuesday, June 13, 2017
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
* OIT only supports OS X 10.11.6 and macOS 10.12 or newer
* Status page for jamfcloud.com services see http://status.jamfsoftware.com
* OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
* Slack group ncstateit.slack.com #macintosh
* Apple Sales Rep: Paul Petrogeorgeemail@example.com & System Eng: Francis has retired waiting for replacement.
* macOS versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
* Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
* Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage.
* Antivirus for university owned devices – go.ncsu.edu/antivirus
* Unity Macintosh Workflow uses Active Directory configuration with local home directory at /Users/$uid$
* OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
* Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
* Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com
Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval. Must login monthly!!
* UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases/background-unc-cpi
* JAMF Pro Enterprise service go.ncsu.edu/casper, go.ncsu.edu/casperinfo and go.ncsu.edu/UWC for details
* JNUC 2017 Oct 24-27, 2017 – jamf.com/events/jamf-nation-user-conference/2017/ – Everette will attend for OIT
2) Training Needs??- 5 min
* OIT-Managing OS X with Jamf Pro – Thu Aug 10, 2017 from 1:30-4:30 pm
* OIT-Casper Best Practices for Packagers – Request – webapps.ncsu.edu/classmate/workshop/index/details/workshopId/351
* OIT-Advanced OS X Management with Jamf Pro – Request – webapps.ncsu.edu/classmate/workshop/index/details/workshopId/881
* CrashPlan for Sub-Org Administrators – Request – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-CPlan1-CPlan1&deptName=OIT
* Local Based Commercial Training – training.computertree.com/course/
3) Service Updates- 10 min
Jamf Pro – Busy with issues around upgrades, Master Distribution Points and Packages. May take another week to get some of the 65 packages, not synced in the JDS master distribution point reset, restored to JDS please be patient and use the JCDS directly in policy.
CrashPlan -Looking at the 6.x upgrade late Aug or early Sep 2017.
NetInstall –No change 10.11.2 still last working NetInstall. Note that Package Only NetInstalls with 10.12.6 do work as long as ALL additional packages are properly signed.
AutoPKGR – Working on an issue causing us to have to upload manually to Jamf Pro
Antivirus – No antivirus for non-university devices. NCSU-Campus-System Center Endpoint Protection for macOS Installer.pkg at nc.jamfcloud.com/packages.html?id=3853
DEP/VPP/Apple School – Apple School Manger is production. NCSU OIT ready to move.
Endpoint Protection – Not yet final
4) Apple Bulk Buy Sep – 5 min
The last day to submit a template is Monday, September 4 at 12:00PM. The next Apple bulk buy begins October 23, 2017. Discussion
5) Software Needs for Fall 2017 – 20 min
Please have a look at the Apple Store to see if you can switch to software purchases, including free, from the App Store using VPP. VPP and real Jamf Patching is the future of macOS and iOS software provisioning. Also send list of software which needs to be packaged AND software that needs to be removed to Everette. Discussion
6) Discussion on Governance – 15 min
For several years now MacTech has reported/recommended to MacPolicy who reports to the Client and Application Service group in the governance organization. This is working well. However, recent issues around support of software, removal of insecure packages and configuration management has pointed out that many issues are not dependent on OS so much as bulk buy and cost of software, support resources for individual package and general security of vendor software (Flash needs to be patched regardless of OS, etc). Should any of these facts change the way we structure governance. Are any changes going to be needed with the Endpoint Protection standard. Discussion
7) Q&A – 15 min
You ask we try to answer
MacPolicy – Tue. Nov 14, 2017 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday each quarter in Feb, May, Aug, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will not meet in July. Meetings usually held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.