MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, Aug 8, 2017
2:30 to 4:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
* OIT only supports OS X 10.11.6 and macOS 10.12 or newer
* Status page for jamfcloud.com services see http://status.jamfsoftware.com
* OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
* Slack group ncstateit.slack.com #macintosh
* Apple Sales Rep: Paul Petrogeorgefirstname.lastname@example.org & System Eng: Francis has retired waiting for replacement.
* macOS versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
* Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
* Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage.
* Antivirus for university owned devices – go.ncsu.edu/antivirus
* Unity Macintosh Workflow uses Active Directory configuration with local home directory at /Users/$uid$
* OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
* Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
* Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com
Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval. Must login monthly!!
* UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases/background-unc-cpi
* JAMF Pro Enterprise service go.ncsu.edu/casper, go.ncsu.edu/casperinfo and go.ncsu.edu/UWC for details
* JNUC 2017 Oct 24-27, 2017 – jamf.com/events/jamf-nation-user-conference/2017/ – Everette will attend for OIT
2) Training Needs??- 5 min
* OIT-Managing OS X with Jamf Pro – Thu Aug 10, 2017 from 1:30-4:30 pm
* OIT-Casper Best Practices for Packagers – Request – webapps.ncsu.edu/classmate/workshop/index/details/workshopId/351
* OIT-Advanced OS X Management with Jamf Pro – Request – webapps.ncsu.edu/classmate/workshop/index/details/workshopId/881
* CrashPlan for Sub-Org Administrators – Request – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-CPlan1-CPlan1&deptName=OIT
* Local Based Commercial Training – training.computertree.com/course/
3) Service Updates- 30 min
Jamf Pro – Upgraded to 9.100.0. Changed to JCDS Master Distribution Point 07262017 and then changed back to JDS root as Master Distribution Point for nc.jamfcloud.com 08072017. JAMF found 7 new issues with cloud distribution points ~ 07282017 and recommended we move back to JDS. Two of the issues have code fixes, one or two will be fixed with infrastructure work the weekend of 08122017. We are waiting on news from JAMF support for the other 3.
-The test service nccloudtest has been updated to 9.100.0 PLEASE TEST as we do need to move to this version soon.
-Working with Jamf Support on known issue where some macOS and iOS devices fail to enroll via DEP. Usually small number in large batch being run. Some devices may take 10 or more tries on multiple days to enroll. JAMF Support has said there is a fix coming in 9.101.0 but no timeline.
-Please note that APFS machines may not be able to use afp network file shares ( see http://docs.jamf.com/9.100.0/casper-suite/release-notes/What%27s_New_in_This_Release.html)
CrashPlan -Looking at the 6.x upgrade late Aug or early Sep 2017.
NetInstall – nuke.nbi/sh is macOS 10.12.3. 10.11.3 set (nuke10113.nbi & sh). are still available if needed. 10.12.4/5/6 is still not working and is broken with signing error which Apple is aware via radar. Note that Package Only NetInstalls with 10.12.6 do work as long as ALL additional packages are properly signed.
AutoPKGR – Working on an issue with production AutoPkgr server that is causing updates to fail due to trust. Right now getting automated pkg download and creation but manually creating packages in nc.jamfcloud.com
Antivirus – No antivirus for non-university devices. NCSU-Campus-System Center Endpoint Protection for macOS Installer.pkg at nc.jamfcloud.com/packages.html?id=3853
DEP/VPP/Apple School – Apple School Manger is production. NCSU OIT ready to move.
Endpoint Protection – Still trying to get time to work out the right Profiles to meet each part of the proposed Endpoint Protection Standard. The issue is that profiles really cover whole System Preference Panel settings and not individual settings in configuration files. So we have to set all the prefs as all or nothing. This means things like GateKeeper setting must be set with same profile as File Vault and local FireWall.
4) Coming Changes to macOS – 20 min
There are significant changes to macOS in 10.13 and beyond. FileVault is replaced by APFS encryption, usage of Disk Utility changes, NetRestore and Casper Imaging become impossible with APFS, AFP file shares may not work, macOS update moves to “MDM Command” or startOSinstall using /Applications/Install macOS xxx.app, all packages will likely be required to be authentically signed making repackaging more complex, and DEP and VPP become a way of life. How how will your group cope with these changes? What resources and training do we need to provide to help with these changes?? Discussion
5) Tech Short – KnockKnock and BlockBlock – 15 min
I wanted to make everyone aware of the looks at: https://objective-see.com
These tools are free and designed specifically for macOS security. They don’t replace Anti-Malware but they can help with diagnostics and to fill the gaps left by some software. Please read their functions carefully!! Demo Discussion
6) Q&A – 15 min
You ask we try to answer
MacTech – Tue. Sep 12, 2017 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday each quarter in Feb, May, Aug, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will not meet in July. Meetings usually held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.