MacPolicy Group Agenda
Tuesday, May 8, 2018
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
- Announcements – 5 min
- OIT only supports OS X 10.11.6 and macOS 10.13.2 or newer
- Status page for jamfcloud.com services see http://status.jamfsoftware.com
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Slack group ncstateit.slack.com #macintosh
- Apple Sales Rep: Paul Petrogeorgefirstname.lastname@example.org & System Eng: Dave Anderson.
- macOS versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage.
- Antivirus for university owned devices – go.ncsu.edu/antivirus
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses Active Directory configuration with local home directory at /Users/$uid$
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should request invitation by opening a help desk ticket at email@example.com Must login to GSX monthly!!
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/campus-it/it-purchasing/unc-combined-pricing-initiative-cpi-program-at-nc-state/
- JAMF Pro Enterprise service go.ncsu.edu/jamf, go.ncsu.edu/casperinfo and go.ncsu.edu/uwc for details
- JAMF Pro version10.4.0 released expect update of nc.jamfcloud.com before July 2018
Apple Bulk Buy Calendar – 5 min
New calendar for 2018 CPP bulk buys. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pp4lq5FyqTaIEwgcdaqa_4mmSSSuCSfa/view?usp=sharing
The May Bulk Buy is in process now until 24th. Discussion
school.apple.com move complete – 5 min
OIT has completed the move to Apple School Manager (ASM) and integration with Jamf Pro. All new DEP and VPP will be handled there and will used Institutional Apple IDs of form <unityid>@appleid.ncsu.edu. Accounts must be requested via firstname.lastname@example.org. Discussion.
Endpoint Protection Standard Update – 5 min
The Endpoint Protection Standard was approved by University Cabinet and is in process of being published on OGC web site. Both the Standard and the Implementation Plan are approved. See
Endpoint Protection Standard – https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-1Ept8uoF2quaYgULMfYfuU7ugdkMt9eZdBZZL7ZrEw
EndPoint Protection Standard Implementation – https://docs.google.com/document/d/11W41KEA6MuynE-PgaPRkVvcjwCCk-pQboL6vBovNC4I/
Jamf Pro Issues – 15 min
The move to Jamf Pro 10.3.1 has been horrible. We ran into Product Issue PI-005434 that JAMF had reported as fixed. See http://docs.jamf.com/10.2.2/jamf-pro/release-notes/What’s_New_in_This_Release.html
The USWCA Team had specifically avoided version 10.2.x due to these issues and waited for 10.3.x to be “safe”. The need to support User Approved MDM drove the move to 10.3.1 but the bug took 8 days to stabilize the JSS (3 JSS and 1 MySQL VMs with 64 gig RAM and 16 cores did it, at that MySQL runs CPUs at 50-70% during day) . While we are 98% functional we are still waiting for a true code fix. Jamf Support and Cloud hosting are checking in with OIT daily to deal with any issues. Also be aware that there are significant changes around UAMDM in 10.13.4 which will require workflow rethinking(more in MacTech). Discussion
Summer and Fall Software Needs? – 15 min
Looking for software needs for Summer and Fall semesters. Discussion
Q&A – 15 min
You ask we try to answer
MacPolicy – Tue. Sep 11, 2018** in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – Tue. Jun 12, 2018 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday each quarter in Feb, May, Sep, Nov.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy and MacTech do not meet in July or August.
Meetings usually held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.