MacTech Groups Agenda
Tuesday, May 8, 2018
2:30 to 4:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
- Announcements – 5 min
- OIT only supports OS X 10.11.6 and macOS 10.13.2 or newer
- Status page for jamfcloud.com services see http://status.jamfsoftware.com
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Slack group ncstateit.slack.com #macintosh
- Apple Sales: Paul Petrogeorgefirstname.lastname@example.org & Sys Eng: Dave Andersenemail@example.com
- macOS versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage.
- Antivirus for university owned devices – go.ncsu.edu/antivirus
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses Active Directory configuration with local home directory at /Users/$uid$
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should request invitation by opening a help desk ticket at firstname.lastname@example.org Must login to GSX monthly!!
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/campus-it/it-purchasing/unc-combined-pricing-initiative-cpi-program-at-nc-state/
- JAMF Pro Enterprise service go.ncsu.edu/jamf, go.ncsu.edu/casperinfo and go.ncsu.edu/uwc for details
- Training Needs – 5 min
- OIT-Managing OS X with Jamf Pro – Request –
- OIT-Casper Best Practices for Packagers – Request – webapps.ncsu.edu/classmate/workshop/index/details/workshopId/351
- OIT-Advanced OS X Management with Jamf Pro – Request – webapps.ncsu.edu/classmate/workshop/index/details/workshopId/881
- CrashPlan for Sub-Org Administrators – Request – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-CPlan1-CPlan1&deptName=OIT
- Local Based Commercial Training – training.computertree.com/course/
- JAMF Pro Training – www.jamf.com/training/
- OIT-Managing OS X with Jamf Pro – Request –
- Service Updates – 10 min
- Jamf Pro – V 10.4.0 available on nccloudtest.jamfcloud.com
- JDS will be removed in the second half of 2018 and access to configuration is by direct url only in 10.4.0+. USWCA is weighing benefit of moving to JCDS master post 10.4.0.
- Service Now Discovery Plugin for JAMF Pro has been granted to NCSU for 1 year. We are waiting on Service Now to enable the plugin for our dev environment.
- CrashPlan – No changes
- NetInstall – OIT has frozen the netinstall service due to Apple moving to Internet Recovery – https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904 (Command-Option-R)
- AutoPKGR – OIT has downgraded AutoPkgR to 0.54 and some package uploads are working but others still require manual upload. The AutoPkgR community is waiting on Jamf to provide true API.
- Antivirus – MSSCEP 126.96.36.199 is available for university owned macOS devices.
- Apple School Manager (ASM) move is complete – All future VPP and MDM will be handled in ASM with managed Apple Id’s of from <unityid>@appleid.ncsu.edu
- Endpoint Protection Standard Approved – 10 min
Discussion of issue around macOS implementation.
What does “name and password or passcode” mean?
Where is the key escrow for disk encryption?
To Bind to AD or Not?
macOS Best Practices – https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Pdv8Z3aU374i1cNwvvrEd3yRnmeU2qXRolpYwP8jaUs/edit
Endpoint Protection Standard – https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-1Ept8uoF2quaYgULMfYfuU7ugdkMt9eZdBZZL7ZrEw
EndPoint Protection Standard Implementation – https://docs.google.com/document/d/11W41KEA6MuynE-PgaPRkVvcjwCCk-pQboL6vBovNC4I/
- Jamf Pro Issues and Apple UAMDM Issues- 5 min
The upgrade to 10.3.1 was very difficult due to hitting Product Issue PI-005434 which Jamf thought was fixed See http://docs.jamf.com/10.2.2/jamf-pro/release-notes/What’s_New_in_This_Release.html
We are still waiting on a fix. Everything tested works as it should but we still see 1-2% of enrollments fail. However we are seeing unrelated issues using the new UAMDM in general. Apple is really forcing DEP and the new way to get QuickAdd.pkg files (nc.jamfcloud.com/enroll/?type=QuickAdd) produces One Time Use installers. Also testing has shown that trying to use the QuickAdd method on devices in PreStage Enrollment will never produce a QuickAdd but always try MDM (CA and MDM profile). Good information is at https://github.com/micromdm/micromdm/wiki/Troubleshooting
- Q&A – 15 min
You ask we try to answer
MacPolicy – Tue. Sep 11, 2018** in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – Tue. Jun 12, 2018 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday each quarter in Feb, May, Sep, Nov.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy and MacTech do not meet in July or August.
Meetings usually held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.