MacTech Groups Agenda
Tuesday, Jan 8, 2019
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Announcements – 5 min
- •OIT only supports macOS 10.13.6 or newer
- •Status page for jamfcloud.com services see http://status.jamfsoftware.com
- •OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- •Slack group ncstateit.slack.com #macintosh
- •Apple Sales: Paul Petrogeorgefirstname.lastname@example.org & Sys Eng: Dave Andersenemail@example.com
- •macOS versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- •Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752
- •Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage.
- •Antivirus for university owned devices – go.ncsu.edu/antivirus
- •Unity Macintosh Workflow uses Active Directory configuration with local home directory at /Users/$uid$
- •OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- •Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- •Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should request invitation by opening a help desk ticket at firstname.lastname@example.org Must login to GSX monthly!!
- •UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/campus-it/it-purchasing/unc-combined-pricing-initiative-cpi-program-at-nc-state/
- •JAMF Pro Enterprise service go.ncsu.edu/jamf, go.ncsu.edu/jamfinfo and go.ncsu.edu/uwc for details
- •JNUC 2019 First Bird EDU pricing ends Jan 23 – see www.jamf.com/events/jamf-nation-user-conference/2019/
NOTE: Dave Anderson the local Apple Systems Engineer will be available at today’s meeting.
Training – 5 min
OIT-iOS Mobile Device Security – TBA reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-iOSMob-Security&deptName=OIT
OIT-Managing Apple Devices with Jamf Pro – Feb 20, 2019 reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-JPro01-JPro01&deptName=OIT
OIT-Jamf Pro Best Practices for Packagers – Mar 28, 2019 – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-JPro03-JPro03&deptName=OIT
OIT-Advanced OS X Management with Jamf Pro – April 15, 2019 reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-JPro02-JPro02&deptName=OIT
CrashPlan for Sub-Org Administrators – Request – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-CPlan1-CPlan1&deptName=OIT
Local Based Commercial Training – training.computertree.com/course/
JAMF Pro Training – www.jamf.com/training/
Service Updates – 15 min
Configuration Management – Jamf Pro V 10.9.0 update 01162019 @ 1800.
nccloudtest.jamfcloud.com running 10.9.0 for testing PLEASE TEST!
Jamf Pro 10.9.0 release notes
Also Service Now Discovery Plugin for JAMF Pro has been update to support Service Now London release. Working on getting it back going.
CommunityPatch server version 2 is stable. Have added some authors to nccloudtest. PLEASE TEST!
CrashPlan – running 6.5.2 in production. Changing to fully hosted model with SSO over next year but still working on plan. Will require a new full backup and a new client install (not automatic).
Internet Recovery – https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904 Command-Option-R to install latest version for hardware or Command-R to install currently installed version. Still seeing issues with post 10.14 Command-Option-R.
Software Packaging – Moving away from the unsupported AutoPKGR to autopkg-conductor. The jss-importer version 1.0.2.b2 is working in test with Jamf Pro 10.8.x tho very slow. Hoping to move to automation with autopkg-conductor before Feb 15, 2019.
AntiMalware/Virus – MSSCEP is End Of Life by Microsoft and should be removed. There is a removal script in Jamf Pro named “Uninstall MS System Center Endpoint Protection (SCEP) for Mac” at nc.jamfcloud.com/scripts.html?id=1605. DetectX Swift is now available and should be installed using the following two packages:
NCSU-Campus-DetectX_Swiftxxxx.pkg (were xxxx is a version number currently 1082)
For full details see oit.ncsu.edu/help-support/apple/jamf-pro/detectx-setup-in-jamf-pro/
Sensitive Data Discovery – NCSU-Campus-SpirionIdentityFinder1054.pkg
Apple School Manager – For security reasons all MDM servers in school.apple.com have been set to disallow remote device release. Device release permanently removes devices from DEP management and should only be done with great care after a device has left control of the university.
Cheat Sheets available for EPS Phase I – 15 min
OIT has made available cheat sheets to help folks create Jamf Pro policies that help meet the first phase of the Endpoint Protection Standard. See:
Apple/Jamf IT Update– 5 min
On Mar 6, 2019 Apple and Jamf will give an “IT Update” event on NCSU campus. Details are TBA but please hold the date and plan to attend. It is likely to be in the afternoon at a location on Central Campus.
Q&A – 15 min
You ask we try to answer
MacPolicy – Tue. Feb 12, 2019 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – Tue. Feb 12, 2019 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday each quarter in Feb, May, Sep, Nov.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy and MacTech do not meet in July.
Meetings usually held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.