MacPolicy Group Quarterly Meeting
Tue Feb 12, 2019
1:30 – 2:30 pm
Announcements – 5 min
- ✴OIT only supports macOS 10.13.6 or newer
- ✴Status page for jamfcloud.com services see http://status.jamfsoftware.com
- ✴OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- ✴Slack group ncstateit.slack.com #macintosh
- ✴Apple Sales: Paul Petrogeorgefirstname.lastname@example.org & Sys Eng: Dave Andersenemail@example.com
- ✴macOS versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- ✴Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752
- ✴Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage.
- ✴Antivirus for university owned devices – go.ncsu.edu/antivirus
- ✴Unity Macintosh Workflow uses Active Directory configuration with local home directory at /Users/$uid$
- ✴OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- ✴Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- ✴Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should request invitation by opening a help desk ticket at firstname.lastname@example.org Must login to GSX monthly!!
- ✴UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/campus-it/it-purchasing/unc-combined-pricing-initiative-cpi-program-at-nc-state/
- ✴JAMF Pro Enterprise service go.ncsu.edu/jamf, go.ncsu.edu/jamfinfo and go.ncsu.edu/uwc for details
- ✴JNUC 2019 www.jamf.com/events/jamf-nation-user-conference/2019/
Jamf Pro Issue blocking updates – 5 min
A known issue:
PI-006655: “Cannot create new macOS Configuration Profiles at the site level”
Is blocking our move to 10.9.x. We know that Jamf Pro is moving to 10.10.0 very soon(days not weeks).
Jamf Support is saying the the issue is fixed in an upcoming release and has passed QA but no timeframe is given for that release. Jamf Support is asking about a HotFix but has not reported back yet.
Endpoint Protection Standard Update – 15 min
There is movement in several places on the Standard as deadline closes for Phase I implementation. As. A reminder Phase I requires all University Owned macOS devices to be : 1) enrolled in Jamf Pro, 2) have DetectX Swift installed and GateKeeper/ProtectX/SIP default enabled, 3) have Spirion Idenity Finder installed, and 4) have automatic login disabled. A cheat sheet on how to setup a Jamf Pro site to do this is at
Very soon there will be a new Implementation Guidance document that will be available with explanations of why the Phase I controls are needed and links to configuration for Jamf Pro to accomplish those controls. More will be added as OIT brings new services on line and we move into Phase II.
Apple Education Event– 5 min
Apple Education IT Forum, Mobility Security and Scalability in the Enterprise
Location: Coastal Ballroom at Talley Student Union (3rd floor)
When: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 12:30 PM – 5:00 PMJoin us to learn how IT leaders are transforming their institutions with Apple technology. You’ll learn about best practices in this comprehensive IT update provided by Apple. Here’s what you’ll experience:
Learn how IT is modernizing support for Apple products to empower the growing number of users on campus.
See how IT leadership is changing the culture of their campus community and attracting top talent with Mac as a choice.
Discover how Apple’s enterprise partnerships and mobile technology are being used in education and business to provide efficiencies that can reduce costs for the institutions.
Learn about Apple’s latest offerings and best practices for deployment and management, including Apple School Manager, MDM, operating system testing, AppleCare, and service and support.
Hear from Jamf, an MDM provider that’s helping organizations succeed with Apple. Learn how Jamf supports universities and enterprise to decrease costs and empower IT with modern tools.
Connect with Apple and network with peers who are looking to get the most from their Apple devices right here in your own community.
New Governance – 15 min
OIT has been working with Campus to create a better IT governance structure. The details of this will be forth coming in Spring 2019. There will very likely be a change in our reporting chain. Right now it is
MacTech>MacPolicy>CAS>CITD. Everette is proposing that we condense MacPolicy into MacTech ahead of these changes. There have been many changes in the make up of the 2 groups since we started in 1989. Today there is 99% overlap in attendance and most members have job functions that require them to make both technical and policy decisions. Discussion Call for Vote
Q&A – 10 min
You ask we try to answer
MacPolicy – Tue. Mar 12, 2019 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – Tue. May 14, 2019 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday each quarter in Feb, May, Sep, Nov.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy and MacTech do not meet in July.
Meetings usually held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.