MacTech Groups Agenda
Tuesday, Apr 9, 2019
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Announcements – 5 min
- OIT only supports macOS 10.13.6 or newer
- Status page for jamfcloud.com services see http://status.jamfsoftware.com
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Slack group ncstateit.slack.com #macintosh
- Apple Sales: Paul Petrogeorgeemail@example.com & Sys Eng: Dave Andersenfirstname.lastname@example.org
- macOS versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage.
- Antivirus for university owned devices – go.ncsu.edu/antivirus
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses Active Directory configuration with local home directory at /Users/$uid$
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should request invitation by opening a help desk ticket at email@example.com Must login to GSX monthly!!
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/campus-it/it-purchasing/unc-combined-pricing-initiative-cpi-program-at-nc-state/
- JAMF Pro Enterprise service go.ncsu.edu/jamf, go.ncsu.edu/jamfinfo and go.ncsu.edu/uwc for details
- JNUC 2019 www.jamf.com/events/jamf-nation-user-conference/2019/
Training – 5 min
OIT-iOS Mobile Device Security – TBA reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-iOSMob-Security&deptName=OIT
OIT-Managing Apple Devices with Jamf Pro – Request – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-JPro01-JPro01&deptName=OIT
OIT-Jamf Pro Best Practices for Packagers – Request – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-JPro03-JPro03&deptName=OIT
OIT-Advanced OS X Management with Jamf Pro – April 15, 2019 reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-JPro02-JPro02&deptName=OIT
CrashPlan for Sub-Org Administrators – Request – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-CPlan1-CPlan1&deptName=OIT
Local Based Commercial Training – training.computertree.com/course/
JAMF Pro Training – www.jamf.com/training/
Service Updates – 15 min
Configuration Management – Jamf Pro V 10.11.1 update will be done Wed Apr 10, 2019 between 1800 and 2345. Release notes at https://www.jamf.com/resources/product-documentation/jamf-pro-release-notes/. We will also clear the MDM command queue of commands that are orphaned and can never be services. The issue with orphaned MDM commands is fixed with the upgrade so, hopefully this will be the last time we need to clear.
Jamf Pro 10.12 is now in beta https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/31573/jamf-pro-10-12-beta-now-available
CommunityPatch – server version 2 is stable. Have added some authors to nccloudtest. PLEASE TEST!
CrashPlan – Getting ready to update to version 6.8.7 and require <unityId>@ncsu.edu as username.
Internet Recovery – https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904 Command-Option-R to install latest version for hardware or Command-R to install currently installed version.
Software Packaging – autopkg-conductor is installed and working but still have to manually upload some packages. Some movement on JSS-Importer betas but until we see movement on proper API will be limited. The enhancement was set as “planned” in Aug 2018 https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/feature-requests/6665/facilitate-uploads-to-cloud-distribution-point-via-api-or-other-non-manual-method
AntiMalware– MSSCEP is End Of Life by Microsoft and should be removed. There is a removal script in Jamf Pro named “Uninstall MS System Center Endpoint Protection (SCEP) for Mac” at nc.jamfcloud.com/scripts.html?id=1605.
DetectX Swift is now available and should be installed using the following two packages:
NCSU-Campus-DetectX_Swiftxxxx.pkg (were xxxx is a version number currently 1085)
For full details see oit.ncsu.edu/help-support/apple/jamf-pro/detectx-setup-in-jamf-pro/
Be aware of CVE-2019-9146 a Zero Day on Google Chrome
Sensitive Data Discovery – No change. NCSU-Campus-SpirionIdentityFinder1054.pkg
Apple School Manager – No changes or updates
Removing MCX Configuration from JAMF Pro – 10 min
We need to remove all MCX Configurations from Jamf Pro.
Jamf removed support for MCX settings (MacOS X Managed Preferences) several versions ago. nc.jamfcloud.com still has 23 active MCX Settings for NCSU. There is no GUI for these and they must be removed using the API at nc.jamfcloud.com/api. These may still be applying to in some cases. Removing the configuration will not change the setting on the devices but profiles should be created and used going forward. Unless otherwise arranged with Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu these will be removed on Tue Apr 10, 2019 about 1630.
Interest in AppleCare for Enterprise update – 10 min
Apple offers AppleCare for Enterprise which provides less expensive 3 year warranty with on site repair, 24/7 enterprise support, and more. Unfortunately we do not qualify for Tier 2 pricing as originally thought. The Tier 1 cost is $175 per unit for 3yr AppleCare Enterprise. Macs are normally ~$160 – $280 for normal AppleCare+. iPads/iPhones normally can not get 3 year coverage but 2 year is $69 or 34.50 per year or theoretically ~$103.50 for 3 years. So far we are not able to get AppleCare for Enterprise added to NCSU Market Place so we would have to special order it. Are we still interested?? Discussion
Campus Event: Supporting eduroam & Network Security with MDM April 18, 2019 – 10 min
James Garringer, Apple Consulting Engineer
Security and identity management
Eduroam deployment and implications: iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS
Networking implications of zero-touch configuration management
Other network-related considerations e.g. Content Caching
Wireless network design considerations to enable support for simultaneous streaming in all academic classrooms
Best practices for iOS-based QoS, roaming
Location Avent Ferry Basement Room 106
Please RSVP: https://forms.gle/3x2gshJo1JWUuE6aA
Apple Devices not purchased from Market Place – 5 min
Apple devices that are purchased from convenience contracts (iphones, etc) will not automatically be available for Configuration Management. Each vendor has requirements and my charge to release the serial numbers to school.apple.com. Discussion.
macOS 10.14: Whats New – 10 min
Q&A – 15 min
You ask we try to answer
MacTech – Tue. May 14, 2019 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacTech dos not meet in July.
Meetings usually held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.