MacTech Groups Agenda
Tuesday, May 14, 2019
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Announcements – 5 min
- OIT only supports macOS 10.13.6 or newer
- Status page for jamfcloud.com services see http://status.jamfsoftware.com
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Slack group ncstateit.slack.com #macintosh
- Apple Sales: Paul Petrogeorgeemail@example.com & Sys Eng: Dave Andersenfirstname.lastname@example.org
- macOS versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage.
- Antivirus for university owned devices – go.ncsu.edu/antivirus
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses Active Directory configuration with local home directory at /Users/$uid$
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should request invitation by opening a help desk ticket at email@example.com Must login to GSX monthly!!
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/campus-it/it-purchasing/unc-combined-pricing-initiative-cpi-program-at-nc-state/
- JAMF Pro Enterprise service go.ncsu.edu/jamf, go.ncsu.edu/jamfinfo and go.ncsu.edu/uwc for details
- JNUC 2019 www.jamf.com/events/jamf-nation-user-conference/2019/
Training – 5 min
OIT-iOS Mobile Device Security – TBA reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-iOSMob-Security&deptName=OIT
OIT-Managing Apple Devices with Jamf Pro – Request – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-JPro01-JPro01&deptName=OIT
OIT-Jamf Pro Best Practices for Packagers – Request – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-JPro03-JPro03&deptName=OIT
OIT-Advanced OS X Management with Jamf Pro – April 15, 2019 reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-JPro02-JPro02&deptName=OIT
CrashPlan for Sub-Org Administrators – Request – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-CPlan1-CPlan1&deptName=OIT
Local Based Commercial Training – training.computertree.com/course/
JAMF Pro Training – www.jamf.com/training/
Service Updates – 15 min
Configuration Management – Jamf Pro V 10.11.1 update was completed.
Jamf Pro 10.12 is now available on nccloudtest.jamfcloud.com for testing!
Release notes for 10.12 – https://docs.jamf.com/10.12.0/jamf-pro/release-notes/What’s_New.html
***NOTE: All MCX settings have been removed from JAMF Pro as announced last month.
CommunityPatch – No change. PLEASE TEST in nccloudtest.jamfcloud.com!
CrashPlan – Getting ready to update to version 6.8.8 on 05152019. After that update we will move again to require <unityId>@ncsu.edu as username. Once the id change is complete will be moving to full cloud hosting likely mid-June 2019.
Internet Recovery – https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904 Command-Option-R to install latest version for hardware or Command-R to install currently installed version.
Software Packaging – autopkg-conductor is installed and working but still have to manually upload some packages. Some movement on JSS-Importer betas but until we see movement on proper API will be limited. The enhancement was set as “planned” in Aug 2018 https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/feature-requests/6665/facilitate-uploads-to-cloud-distribution-point-via-api-or-other-non-manual-method
AntiMalware– DetectX Swift is now available and should be installed using these packages:
NCSU-Campus-DetectX_Swiftxxxx.pkg (were xxxx is a version number currently 1087)
For full details see oit.ncsu.edu/help-support/apple/jamf-pro/detectx-setup-in-jamf-pro/
Sensitive Data Discovery – NCSU-Campus-SpirionIdentityFinder1054.pkg
Apple School Manager – No changes or updates
Upcoming Jamf Visit @ June MacTech – 5 min
At the June MacTech we will have Stacy Behlmer, Jamf Customer Success Manager and Ben Dennis our area Jamf Sales rep. join us. They want to talk about :
Discuss Jamf Education-focused initiatives and improvements
Identify and discuss upcoming projects and timelines
Identify any areas of concern
Review common workflows for ways to add efficiency and stability
Please mark your calendar and have questions ready.
Jamf Connect License & Demo– 10 min
Several folks have expressed interest in bulk purchase or bundling Jamf Connect (jamf.com/products/jamf-connect/) The education price is $5 per seat at 0-9999 Tier and the price at 10,000+ seat Tier is $3.35. We have asked Jamf Sales what the cost would be if we bundle Jamf Pro Premium we have now with Jamf Connect and are waiting to hear back. If we try to make the price tier, NCSU alone can only make about 7,000 seats if everyone wanted to use Jamf Connect. A technical note, Jamf Connect does not replace NoMAD/NoLoAD. Jamf Connect is required to use one of the modern identity providers it supports ( Okta, Google Identity, IBM Cloud Identity, Microsoft Azure AD, or OneLogin) while NoMAD/NoLoAD continues to support legacy Active Directory (as kerberos and ldaps service).
Proof of Concept demo using Google Identity.
How many folks would be interested? Discussion
AppleCare for Enterprise update – 10 min
AppleCare for Enterprise cost is $175 per unit for 3yr.
AppleCare+ for Macs is normally ~$160 – $280 for 3 yr.
We can not get AppleCare for Enterprise added to NCSU Market Place so must be special order.
All Macs purchased at NCSU would be required to add the $175 to the cost and make a separate special order. Benefits are next day – on site repair, 24/7 enterprise support, dedicated account manager, 24/7 one hour response for priority 1 issues Are we still interested?? Discussion
Surplus Disposal update and New Label – 10 min
OIT continues to work with Surplus to get access to the surplus report so devices can be “released” when sold outside the University SOLD TO number. There is a new label for certifying surplus devices that requires sign off on 1) removal of firmware passwords, 2) removal of all PINs, FaceID, etc, 3) removal from device management (unassign) and format/removal of storage devices. OIT is very close to releasing a new web page on media device “formatting” which includes info on secure format of solid state storage. “Demo of label”. Discussion
Apple Updates – 10 min
Updates for all Apple Operating Systems were released 05132019 with support for AirPlay2 and security patches. See support.apple.com/en_US/downloads or the App Store
macOS 10.14.5, iOS 12.3, watchOS 5.2.1, and tvOS 12.3
Q&A – 15 min
You ask we try to answer
MacTech – Tue. June 11, 2019 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacTech dos not meet in July.
Meetings usually held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.