The Office of Information Technology is making changes to the Unity password requirements to encourage more secure, flexible and usable passwords.
After 5 p.m. on Tuesday, May 25, you will have to use the new strength meter when changing your password via the Self-Service Password System.
Current complexity and composition rules for passwords are being replaced with the strength meter, and your passwords will need to achieve the minimum level of “strong.” As you create your new password, the Self-Service Password System will provide immediate guidance regarding your choice such as “add more words” or “this is a commonly used password.” You are encouraged to utilize passphrases and sentences to achieve the necessary strength.
Also, common dictionary words will no longer be banned.
These password restrictions remain unchanged:
- You cannot reuse previous passwords.
- You cannot use certain characters such as an apostrophe, a single quote or a pipe, which is a vertical bar (|).
- Password expiration remains unchanged.
As always, remember to:
- Keep your passwords private and never share them with anyone.
- Avoid using your NC State password on other sites or with personal accounts.
- Avoid making simple changes to previous passwords.
If you have any questions, contact the NC State Help Desk via the IT Service Portal or call 919.515.4357 (HELP).