The Office of Information Technology (OIT) has developed a new alumni Google domain and will begin offering alumni email-only accounts to students who graduate in December 2021.
Since Google’s implementation 10 years ago, graduates have maintained their NC State student Google account. Earlier this year, however, Google announced that it would discontinue unlimited storage for education institutions.
This change significantly impacted how NC State provides Google services to graduates. To continue their affiliation with the university, OIT will now offer graduates a Gmail-only account with 2GB of email storage.
Alumni Email Domain Implementation
- OIT plans to go live with the alumni email domain for the fall 2021 graduating class and will offer the email-only service on an ongoing basis to student graduates. All students will be contacted via their student Gmail account.
- Students who graduated after May 2010 will be contacted after December graduates and offered an alumni account.
- Students who graduated prior to May 2010, which is before NC State began using Google services, are not able to receive an alumni email account.
- Alumni accounts will have a “firstname.lastname@example.org” email address.
- Students will be able to transfer a copy of their My Drive files and emails to a personal Google account and will receive instructions on how to do so.
- Students who have also been university employees are reminded that they should transfer only their personal or school-related files and emails.
- NOTE: Students will retain access to their current student Google account for six months after graduation, at which time it will be disabled. Again, graduates will be contacted and offered an alumni account when it is their time to transition.
If you have questions, contact the NC State Help Desk via the IT Service Portal or call 919.515.4357.