Welcome to Web Hosting Services
The cPanel Web Hosting service is a full-service environment that provides you with flexibility, scalability, economy of scale, and more options for your Web presence. This service is available to any NC State University college, department or unit.
What the Service Provides
The Web hosting service differs from OIT's current AFS Web service by offering many additional features, some of which are available now:
- NC State hosted URL. For details, see URL below.
- 10 GB of space with option to purchase more. See Costs & Contracts.
- Both nightly and user-initiated backups
- Unlimited bandwidth
- More features and applications for your Web presence
- Unlimited databases
- Enhanced programming features and applications (depending on the service option you choose)
- a cPanel control panel to administer each of your sites
- Fantastico, a system that makes it easier to install scripts (e.g., galleries, blogs)
The current AFS Web hosting service will still be available after the new one is activated. For a comparison of the two, see Old vs new Web hosting environments.
Users who move from AFS hosting will still have the AFS file space available after their Web hosting account is activated. To remove AFS-hosted space and its associated fees, an authorized representative for that space must submit a request to the Help Desk and provide the AFS path to the space.
In addition to our traditional AFS hosting and the cPanel hosting, OIT also provides a WordPress Hosted service. This service is ideal for a unit that has little IT expertise in-house but needs a branded, accessible website. For more information on this hosted option, see wordpress.ncsu.edu.
A URL for a top level domain (e.g., xxx.ncsu.edu or www.ncsu.edu/xxx) must be approved. If you will be moving an existing site, we recommend that you request a temporary URL to use until you are ready to transer the URL to the new site. Please be sure to include this URL request when submitting your Web hosting account request.
If you need to request a top level domain, you will need to fill out the URL Request form.