MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
2:30 to 4:30 pm Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.6.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2012
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin
2) License Renewals – 10 min.
All license renewals should be complete. We did have requests to up the license for Casper suite to 2,954. There are also about 17 AELP Mac Collection licenses available for purchase. Discussion.
3) New Information Kiosk Image – 10 min
OIT has created a new Information Kiosk appliance image. We have site licensed iCab (v5.0.2) to replace webXkiosk since it has commodity kiosk support and is 10.8 compatible. webXsaverII is used to provide signage functionality. OIT is using 10.7.5 as base OS for best security. The image is available on the Casper Suite server or by request at help.ncsu.edu. Discussion.
4) New Apple Hardware and Software Changes – 10 min.
iPad Mini, Apple TV gets screen code in update, iMac 21 and 27, others? Discussion
5) Casper Suite Update- 10 min.
OIT has been approved and is participating in a beta program for Casper Suite 9. Early in the beta. The production Casper Suite server is still at 8.6.2. Web server certificates have been renewed until Dec 2013. Discussion.
6) Spring 2013 Software Workflow Update- 10 min.
OIT has been working on the 17 packages that need updates for spring 2013 semester. Software was frozen Dec 7, 2012 and many packages are being uploaded to Casper. Expect workflow to be available by Dec. 14, 2012 Discussion.
7) Q&A – 10 min. You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Jan 8, 2013 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.