Help Desk Consultants with OIT serve as the primary point of contact for all customer support issues for services provided by the Office of Information Technology. Support is provided for a wide variety of IT services, including:
- Email and calendaring (Google)
- Applications (Office, web browsers, academic software)
- General computing issues (both managed and unmanaged desktop environments)
- Campus-specific services (Unity accounts, MyPack Portal, Virtual Computing Lab)
For more advanced or specialized support issues, the Help Desk Consultant is responsible for effectively and efficiently escalating the issue to the appropriate campus IT support group.
The position requires great customer service skills as well as the ability to clearly communicate technical information to non-technical individuals via both email and phone. While an advanced level of general computing knowledge is desirable, a basic level of knowledge paired with a willingness and ability to learn new technical skills is all that is required.
Ability to work in a highly collaborative, team environment with a variety of personality types is essential as well. Lastly, a basic familiarity with the campus IT environment and OIT services is also preferred.
- Provide general IT technical support to the campus community
- Provide courteous, consistent and professional customer service
- Escalate more complex support issues to appropriate technical support staff
- An understanding of, and commitment to, excellent customer service
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to new situations and technologies
- General computing knowledge
- A problem-solving mindset
- Embracing of a collaborative, team environment
- A basic familiarity with the campus IT environment (preferred)
Salary and Hours
- The salary starts at $9.50 an hour, with performance reviews and possible raises occurring on a regular basis.
- Work hours are primarily Monday thru Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., however additional hours outside these times are sometimes required; for example during move-in weekend in the fall.
- Must be available and willing to work for a minimum of 10 hours a week during the regular semester.
How to Apply
- Complete the Help Desk Consultant Application.
- Complete the NC State University Temporary Application (non-UTS). (You may need to download the file and open it from within Adobe Acrobat rather than simply clicking on the link)
- Email the completed application to email@example.com with the subject line of “HDC Application.” (Note: Clicking on that email link will create a new email with the required subject line. Just attach your application and you’re good to go.)
- (Optional) Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of “HDC Resume.” (Note: Clicking on that email link will create a new email with the required subject line. Just attach your resume and you’re good to go.)