Help Desk Consultants serve as the primary point of contact for all customer support concerns for services provided by the Office of Information Technology (OIT), including but not limited to:
- Email and calendaring (Google Workspace)
- Security (Duo 2FA, password management)
- Applications (software installation and licensing assistance)
- General computing issues (managed and unmanaged desktop environments)
- Campus-specific services (Unity accounts, MyPack Portal, Virtual Computing Lab)
For more advanced or specialized support issues, the Help Desk Consultant is responsible for effectively and efficiently escalating the issue to the appropriate campus IT support group.
This position requires a great customer service skill set. Help Desk Consultants will need to clearly communicate technical information over email and phone to a diverse array of users. While an advanced level of computing knowledge is welcomed, general computing knowledge paired with a willingness and ability to learn new technical skills is all that is required. The ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment with a variety of personality types is essential.
The Help Desk Consultant position is a great opportunity to dive into the fundamentals of IT services and support, hone customer service skills along with other desirable soft-skills, and learn about the vast array of technical systems and services used at NC State that are shared with hundreds of other educational institutions and businesses worldwide.
- Provide general IT technical support to the campus community
- Provide courteous, consistent and professional customer service
- Escalate more complex support issues to appropriate technical support staff
- An understanding of, and commitment to, excellent customer service
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to new situations and technologies
- General computing knowledge
- A problem-solving mindset
- Embracing of a collaborative, team environment
- A basic familiarity with the campus IT environment (preferred)
Salary and Hours
- The salary starts at $12.50 an hour, with performance reviews and possible raises occurring on a regular basis.
- Work hours are primarily Monday thru Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; however, additional hours outside these times are sometimes required; for example, during move-in weekend in the fall.
- Must be available and willing to work for a minimum of 10 hours a week during the regular semester.
How to Apply
Complete the online Help Desk Consultant Application form. Once completed, qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.