OIT Information and News Services goals
As part of Outreach, Communications and Consulting, the Information and News Services team aims to:
- Help the Office of Information Technology (OIT) achieve its organizational vision and operational goals of Pervasive Transparency and Collaborative Engagement
- Provide accurate and timely communications about OIT for on- and off-campus communities
- Enhance the abilities of NC State students, faculty and staff to use IT resources and their knowledge of IT issues
- Advance the mission and strategic plans of NC State University
How can we help you?
- Subscribe to OIT News (A monthly electronic newsletter containing IT-related news items)
- Follow @NCStateOIT on Twitter
- Training and workshops
- Seminars advertising
- IT announcements
- Industry News
- Request information about technology at NC State that you cannot find on the OIT website
- Post information on the Hillsborough Building e-sign and the Avent Ferry Technology Center e-sign
- IT Announcements (e.g., news, system outages, lectures, award winners)
- IT Advertisements (e.g., classes, workshops, lectures, social events, Twitter)
- IT Campaigns (e.g., Cybersecurity Awareness Month)
- Employee Interest: (e.g., ZimRide, dining hall menus)
OIT staff services
Request marketing or publicity content development services
We want to help you get the word out about the activities of your OIT unit or team.
- We can help you devise content for news announcements or articles, your services, press releases, fliers, brochures, or posters.
- For large projects, we can also help you devise a communication plan, including help with audience analysis and determining the appropriate communication channels for your audience.
Contact the Information and News Services Team to help with your marketing and publicizing.
Request editing services
An edit of OIT communications considers these aspects:
Examples: technical, laypeople, “insiders,” students, faculty, staff
Examples: Accessibility of the information on a laptop, on a mobile device, in a dimly lit room, under stressful conditions
Correcting spelling, punctuation, grammar, terminology and jargon
Example: All steps of a task are covered or considered
Example: Audience-appropriate examples are provided for complex concepts.
Adhere to AP style guidelines.
The information divided into and presented in a logical sequence.
Information is easy to scan, navigate and search and contains a table of contents or an index.
- Visual effectiveness
Examples: legible fonts, clear and appropriate graphics
- Task orientation
Written from the user’s perspective, with clear reasons given for reading or doing a task
Request communication planning resources
Information and News Services can help you create effective communication plans for new OIT projects and services, notable achievements and upcoming events.
- Advertising venues to consider for various audiences, such as students, faculty, and staff: Media Channels
- NC State Brand, including Editorial Style Guidelines
- For items not covered by the university editorial style guidelines, the AP Style Guide is used.
- Information and News Services publications: OIT News