- Using up-to-date antivirus software has reduced the number and severity of virus outbreaks on campus.
- In keeping with NC State’s Antivirus Software Requirements, you must have university-approved antivirus software installed and kept up-to-date on each device that you connect to the campus network.
- For personally-owned computers
The university recommends that you use either of the following:
- The antivirus protection provided by your operating system’s vendor
- An approved alternative.
For details, see Approved Alternate Antivirus Products.
- For university-owned computers
See Recommended Antivirus Solutions.
To best protect your computer, we strongly encourage you to do both of these things:
- Upgrade your operating system to one of these:
- Windows: 7, 8, 8.1, 10
- Windows Servers: 2012, 2012R2
- Mac: OS X 10.6 or newer
- Apply all security patches and updates as soon as they are available
Google screens all email to campus addresses and deletes most virus-infected messages automatically.
See Email Security for safe ways to handle your email.
For a specific computer or group of computers, you may submit an Antivirus Exemption Request.