The OIT Change Management program was established to reduce the risk of conflicts between technical changes to our services, and to ensure that consumers of our services understand the reasons for and impact of these changes. We accomplish this by improving coordination between OIT teams and communication with the NC State campus community.
- Document relevant changes affecting OIT service delivery and support.
- Provide a forum for OIT service support teams to share and discuss proposed changes.
- Provide a public calendar listing approved changes.
OIT staff members should submit a change request using the OIT Change Management System for any activity that has the potential to adversely affect any other team in OIT. This includes the Help Desk, and by extension any member of the larger NC State campus community. Your change request will be reviewed by your supervisor prior to being released to the CAB for review.
Please see the Procedures page for more information on the change request submission process.
CAB membership represents all areas of OIT at the team level or higher. Members are appointed by their respective Associate Vice Chancellor. Responsibilities of CAB members include:
- Provide information to the CAB regarding all Requests For Change (RFCs) that originate from the representative’s organization.
- Review newly submitted RFCs prior to the next regularly scheduled CAB meeting.
- Respond to Emergency Change Requests in a timely manner.
- Attend all regularly scheduled CAB meetings or provide an alternate attendee.
- Advocate for the represented organization’s interests by providing feedback regarding RFCs.
- Provide feedback to the Change Coordinator regarding the Change Management process, tools and documentation.
The Change Coordinator role is currently assigned to the S&C Project Portfolio Management team. Activities and duties should include but are not limited to the following:
- Circulate all RFCs to CAB members in advance of meetings to allow prior consideration.
- Manage the Emergency Change process
- Chair all CAB meetings.
- Produce regular and accurate management reports.
- Post notification of Change Management Schedule updates to Sysnews and the Network Administrators Group (NAG) after the first regular CAB meeting of every month.
The OIT Change Management program was initiated at the request of OIT leadership. The OIT Leadership Team assign individuals to the Change Advisory Board (CAB) to ensure that the respective units are fully represented. The OIT Leadership Team also designates the role of Change Coordinator to lead the program.
The CAB provides input for the development of any policies, procedures and tools relating to OIT Change Management. The CAB must approve any changes to those items unless otherwise indicated by the OIT Leadership Team.